advertisement

SME 3009R - anything to check for if buying?

Rosewind

Lost in Translation
I was just offered an SME 3009R and would like to know what sort of things to look out for if I go to have a look at it.

1) Potential issues with s/h SME 3009R tonearms?

2) The bearing: nylon --> steel --> bronze - which is the best?

3) Tonearm base material?

4) Would it be a good match for my Benz Micro Gullwing SLR even on my Thorens TD 147 Jubilee?

Thanks!

The seller has it mounted on a Micro Seiki DQX 500 and it looks fine but I will want to check it out. Here are some smartphone photos of it:
1LWP0CGl.jpg

pUG1J3al.jpg

J585p2Ll.jpg

Looks like a nice arm. The arm base does not come with it.

SME 30xx arms are wonderfully simple and serviceable things. If the cosmetic condition is good and the arm is complete everything else can be fixed or replaced (bearings, wiring etc).

Oh. Nevermind.
The guy who approached me for a trade, had put his SME 3009R up for sale in Denmark and when we were negotiating a trade, he had removed his advert and was requesting a higher trade value for his SME 3009R against my phono stage. He was the one who approached me. Oh well.

I wouldn't worry - it was a "Franken-arm" - made up from various SME and aftermarket parts from this and other models. Also, replacement parts can bankrupt you at their current prices!

Keith. Are you telling me that the arm is constructed from bits and bobs from a variety of arms? The Horror! The Horror!

I wouldn't worry - it was a "Franken-arm" - made up from various SME and aftermarket parts from this and other models. Also, replacement parts can bankrupt you at tpurchased a heir current prices!

May I have the temerity to ask if you are writing about the arm shown in the images or the SME 3009R arm in general?

Looked right to me aside from the 3rd party headshell.

+1

I own several SME arms including a 3009R - which was purchased via 'e-pay' several years ago, and for which, due to a 'momentary lapse of reason' - I definitely paid too much.
When I finally examined 'my' arm, which came complete with SME packaging, handbook & templates, it appeared to be slightly 'non standard', in that the base clamping arragement was not 'as shown' on all the images of the arm that I 'subsequently' closely inspected. However, my particular example appeared to be correct in all other aspects, and at the time I was able to purchase all the 'correct' bits from SME.
I found that the arm was easier to 'set-up' than a standard 3009 S2 because of the screw adjustment of the main counterweight, and it is allegedly, more suitable for use with heavier cartridges due to the s/steel (heavier) arm tube. The 'R' headshells are also fitted with 2 bayonets as opposed the the single one of the earlier versions.
Whether, the usual higher purchase price of an 'R' version versus an earlier S2 arm is worthwhile, or even an improvement, is definitely a decision for a 'would be' purchaser to consider - given my vintage 'ears' and system I couldn't possibly comment.
Regards
Mike Kelshaw

If I buy an SME 3009R, I will first use it on my Thorens TD147 Jubilee and then decide whether to buy a Thorens TD126 mk. ii or a Funk LSD or a Sony TTS3000 all of which should improve on the Thorens.

EDIT: perhaps.

I am still in touch withbthe seller but I will have to go and see the arm in action and in the flesh before I decide.

We have agreed to make a swap but I do not know when I have time to pick up the arm.

So ... a new s/h turntable or not? I have the Thorens 147 Jubilee and will find a way to mount a second arm on it. But will a Sony TTS3000 or a Thorens 124 or 125 mk. ii improve on it?

I will receive the arm tomorrow or on Monday. It will either be used on my Thorens 147 Jubilee - or I will buy a s/h Sony TTS3000 or Garrard Zero100. It relly depends on whether I am prepared to take that chance and slum it without a preamp. FYI my one input attenuator sounds quite good now with The Rolling Stones playing through it from my PC/DAC.

Just unpacked the arm. Visually it looks great. I will snap a few photos of it later in a good light but I will most likely sell on or trade to a 12" arm for my Empire 698. I think I will let my Thorens TD147 Jubilee go as well now that I have the Empire 698.

I’m a huge fan of Servisol Foam Cleanser 30, it really is amazing stuff and I’ve used it a lot on SME arms (I have four 3009s of different types). I am however confident enough to dismantle the arm, which obviously helps hugely. My in use 3009 (late-60s/early-70s pre-Improved) looks brand new, yet was bright yellow due to nicotine staining when I first got it! I stripped it right down and carefully cleaned every part, thankfully aside from being very grubby it was entirely unmarked, it doesn’t even have the slightest scratching around the arm rest as most seem to. I’ve got a brand new very high-quality set of ball-races ready to stick in the lateral bearing next time I can be bothered taking it apart!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back