advertisement

SME 10 support

alcarmichael

pfm Member
I’m excitedly awaiting the arrival of my SME 10 turntable bought from this forum. Whilst waiting, I have been thinking of how to get the best out of the turntable with regards to positioning:

Wall shelf
Heavy solid sideboard
One of the above with a support platform such as those made by Townshend

Thoughts and advice please...

Congratulations on your purchase, if you have a wall shelf use it, but a good solid rack would be good.
Do you have a solid floor or suspended floor?

I do have a wall shelf but haven’t unboxed it yet!

Currently suspended but I will be moving soon. I’m assuming the new place also has suspended floors but not certain.

I was going to PM you Slav to enquire about your generous offer for the cover for this arm and table.

Have you experimented at all with a support such as those offered by Townshend? I have Seismic bars under my speakers and they’re outstanding bits of kit.

PM me your address and I post it sometimes next week
No I haven't tried anything else , my TT stand is quite heavy 30-40kg , all legs filled plus marble board sitting on top plate and "fixed" with blu tack

Which tonearm/s are you using now?
Have two - SME V and DV507 but using neither atm , my Cadenza Bronze is in Denmark for little repair and I decided to send V for service to SME ,
I bought Cadenza Blue before but never opened the box and sent it back in the end -possibly swap it for another Benz Wood
507 sits in the box as I never got around to check how to fit one to 10 possibly I'd need to make another armboard as slot in 10 is not wide enough so vinyl free time for me , listening to CD when I have spare time

I’m excitedly awaiting the arrival of my SME 10 turntable bought from this forum. Whilst waiting, I have been thinking of how to get the best out of the turntable with regards to positioning:

Wall shelf
Heavy solid sideboard
One of the above with a support platform such as those made by Townshend

Thoughts and advice please...
The feet are big rubber / plastic pieces which you insert to holes. They can be uneven so using a spirit level is very important. Another important thing is not to touch the grey platter with your fingers , that comes from SME it means you will never need to use a slip mat. Surface to sit the deck on is a personal thing my 10 is on a glass shelf and sounds excellent. My floor has wooden beams then carpet on top of that ( Victorian building ) records do not jump while walking across the floor. The 10 is a right good deck have owned a LP12 then a Michael Orbe SE. The model 10A for me is the better sounding deck. Added a V tonearm which improves performance. Enjoy. Should add the cover for the deck is a poor after thought. Buy a small paint brush and dust the deck down that way when needed.

I have lots of experience with the model 10 certainly benefits from isolation, I have found the Townshend base and pods work well as does making an home made isolation system using bike inner tubes. One can really improve the midrange and bass using better isolation. I have mounted the dynavector arm on the model 10 too in the past and works very well indeed.

Should add the cover for the deck is a poor after thought. .
I always thought the SME 10 plastic cover was a rather charming back-reference on ARA's part to the old Garrard 4HF cover:
480.JPG

I have lots of experience with the model 10 certainly benefits from isolation, I have found the Townshend base and pods work well as does making an home made isolation system using bike inner tubes. One can really improve the midrange and bass using better isolation. I have mounted the dynavector arm on the model 10 too in the past and works very well indeed.

Did you have any preference with the isolation method or were they quite similar?

I have had a DIY idea: I’m going to buy a 12” pizza tray and a suitable inner tube. This should hopefully give a discreet platform which will isolate the turntable. Google research suggests minimal air pressure is the way to do it but a bit of trial and error with higher pressures is simple.

advertisement

Back