advertisement

SMB / PCB LED Replacement Expert Needed

flutteringwow

She called me baby, like an old romantic
I think I may have posted this in the wrong section earlier, so will try again!

This is slightly off 'Audio' level, although there is a volume control involved, so I guess its ok to be included here :)

I am looking for someone who is able to replace the LED's on an SMB board.

Basically, my car is having an upgrade to a later media unit as the old one has bricked itself, and the new 'controller' for the media system has white LED's. My old one has RED, as with all the other dash lights.

My OCD won't be able to handle this.

I am told the LED's are micro soldered onto the board, difficult, but it can and has be done. Remove LED's from old unit, remove LEDs from new unit and then solder old LEDS onto new one.

While I am fairly good with a soldering iron myself, my nerves and equipment are definitely not up to the task, and I am a bit thick, it won't be wise for me to attempt this :)

Are there any skilled persons able/willing to do this, obviously for a fee/charity donation (if required)?

I can probably do it, located in Southampton. How many LEDs are we talking about, and what size? Can you post a photo of the PCB?

Thanks fella's.

I havent actually removed the PCB's, as my i felt the person doing the job may want to do that to ensure its done properly.

It's a bit of a one off really.

It's from an Audi A3. To give you an idea

This is the 'red' version. Ignoring the gear shift selection bit, on the media control section underneath - those lights are 'white' on the newer version. Cant find a photo showing the newer version LED, but ive put one underneath.

So it looks around 10 maybe? So, remove from Red version, and reinstall on the white version, to make red.

If thats clearer than mud?

img_1389-jpg.175152

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks fella's.

I havent actually removed the PCB's, as my i felt the person doing the job may want to do that to ensure its done properly.

It's a bit of a one off really.

It's from an Audi A3. To give you an idea

This is the 'red' version. Ignoring the gear shift selection bit, on the media control section underneath - those lights are 'white' on the newer version. Cant find a photo showing the newer version LED, but ive put one underneath.

So it looks around 10 maybe? So, remove from Red version, and reinstall on the white version, to make red.

If thats clearer than mud?

img_1389-jpg.175152

s-l1600.jpg
Yes, they’re probably surface mount types, I’ll look into it because if they are, it might be worth just ordering new LEDs of the correct size (they’ll be dirt cheap). I’m happy to take a look if you’re near... PS, I’m quite happy tackling surface mount work.

Yes, they’re probably surface mount types, I’ll look into it because if they are, it might be worth just ordering new LEDs of the correct size (they’ll be dirt cheap). I’m happy to take a look if you’re near... PS, I’m quite happy tackling surface mount work.

I don't think it would be possible to order ones from Audi, and I would need the colour to match to the original Audi red, as the rest of the dash in that colour.

Im on the South coast but can always post if you think it's something you can do? Ill have the new panel next week and can see how easy it is to extract the board

it might be worth just ordering new LEDs of the correct size
Yeah, I wouldn't count on salvaging the old ones. It's easy to lose one, if nothing else. The question is how close a colour match our friend requires. Not all red LEDs are quite equal. If I were a salesman, I'd "recommend" replacing all the LEDs in the vehicle just to be sure.

I don't think it would be possible to order ones from Audi, and I would need the colour to match to the original Audi red, as the rest of the dash in that colour.

Im on the South coast but can always post if you think it's something you can do? Ill have the new panel next week and can see how easy it is to extract the board
There isn’t a broad spectrum of reds for LEDs, if anything, it’s the intensity that varies. I could definitely do it, no concern there. I could swap the LEDs over but I’d rather at least have some replacements at hand just in case any fail from heat exposure, it will take a longer application of heat to remove them than it does to solder them onto the board, you have to get the solder melted on both sides to remove them with hot air (although I can use an iron to remove SMD components where hot air isn’t appropriate), whereas when you’re soldering them onto the board, you only need a very brief application of heat with a micro pencil on one side, then the other.

Yeah, I wouldn't count on salvaging the old ones. It's easy to lose one, if nothing else. The question is how close a colour match our friend requires. Not all red LEDs are quite equal. If I were a salesman, I'd "recommend" replacing all the LEDs in the vehicle just to be sure.
I’d check them before fitting them to see how good a match they are... I doubt there would be much, if any notable difference between them... no way I’d want the job of replacing all of them in the vehicle, I have a golf and there are hundreds of them in lots of hard to access places.

Red forward voltage is much lower than white, so the limiter resistors may need increasing or it will be too bright

I wouldnt want to use alternative LED's, theres just too much potential for colour variation which can be altered by even the difusion abilities of the type of material used etc.

However, there will be a couple of spares as the new console has 2 buttons less, and I could always pick up a second 'Red' console, so there is lots of spares.

Completely impossible to replace all the LED's on the car.

advertisement

Back