advertisement

Smart Motorways

Yes, to watch smart motorways like a hawk. Also that the old style overhead speed signs on mways that we all knew were advisory have been replaced by speed signs in red circles. These are most definitely not advisory unless the advice is "watch it, this bastard is out to do you and there is almost certainly a camera".

I use Wayze a lot on CarPlay, and that seems to have most of the camera sites popping up, including temporary ones. All it means is that I set the cruise for 75mph all the way from Milton Keynes to J10 of the M25, and relax. Those cameras on the side of the gantries are live all the time now.

You may as well extend that instruction for the whole of the M1. There's one section that's not yet lined with cameras in the Chesterfield area and another around Barnsley, otherwise it's 70 all the way. In fact having recently spent far too much time driving between leeds and MK any chance to go beyond 50 is a bloody bonus.

I use Wayze a lot on CarPlay, and that seems to have most of the camera sites popping up, including temporary ones. All it means is that I set the cruise for 75mph all the way from Milton Keynes to J10 of the M25, and relax. Those cameras on the side of the gantries are live all the time now.

And apparently all the cameras on the M25 have now been set to 72mph so watch out. I don't know if this is true but my other half, who is a face book user, had a warning posted up from a friend the other day.

You may be right, but I'd be very surprised if a NIP was generated below 77mph - or at least I can't find evidence of that having happened anywhere with the HADECS3 ones....

On my naught boys' course I didn't meet anyone who was under +7. There were a few of us there who had been clocked at limit +7.

It varies depending on the county policy. I spoke to a lady at the Sussex Police booth at Goodwood and they work on 10% + 3 mph, but Surrey are normally 10% + 2mph. Of course, a NIP could come into my letterbox at any time, which will of course invalidate this. You just can't tell, other than the original tolerances permitted by law for car speedometers were +10%/-0 but that was probably in the days of clockwork. Tyre inflation etc would also introduce a variable

On my naught boys' course I didn't meet anyone who was under +7. There were a few of us there who had been clocked at limit +7.
The old ACPO guidelines were 10% + 2, so in a 50 limit that would make the threshold +7, as you observe. Normally at or slightly over this threshold leads to an invitation to a naughty boys course.

And apparently all the cameras on the M25 have now been set to 72mph so watch out. I don't know if this is true but my other half, who is a face book user, had a warning posted up from a friend the other day.

It's just another load of guff going around facebook, it did the rounds last year as well.

There is something not quite right about those gantry cameras hanging off the side, they either don't all work or are set to go off at random intervals because they don't flash everybody and sometimes they don't flash at all at any speed. I think they may be more of a psychological deterrent more than anything, either that or they're still in some testing phase.

I set one off deliberately on a new stretch of recently opened smart motorway last year at 4am at a speed I would describe as 'plenty enough' for it to go off and I never heard anything. There's a stretch of recent upgrade going past Sheffield where they are "environment monitoring" or whatever they call it, where it has been 60 every day in peak times, I was travelling up to Leeds every day for a 2 week stretch and the outside lane was for basically everyone who didn't think the cameras worked as it was travelling at normal BMW/Audi speeds, which I joined in with and never heard anything.

I use all the smart motorways, 45k a year and had no bother as yet, I'm not sure what people are doing if they are indeed getting done, a lot of Chinese whispers and social media tittle-tattle as per usual.

I drove around the south M25 last week the day after the 'smart' cameras went live and we are all warned that exceeding 72mph would result in a fine/ticket/points. Well............It was after 9pm and certainly the vast majority were sticking to 70mph but not all! And there was a lot of cruise control being used. Unfortunately by many doing 65mph in the middle or third lane when there was nothing in the inner lanes. Really? What arrogance means that they dont think or care about anyone else or the highway code? And the use of cruise control was clearly eveident because drivers who had to react where doing it sharply as they shifted their foot off the floor and onto the pedals. I have a feeling that such comprehensive use of cruise control rather than just driving may end tragically. (but dear God, how i hate those FWs who drive in the middle lanes even more now!)

It's just another load of guff going around facebook, it did the rounds last year as well.

There is something not quite right about those gantry cameras hanging off the side, they either don't all work or are set to go off at random intervals because they don't flash everybody and sometimes they don't flash at all at any speed.
They aren't always turned on. Apparently. In addition certain weather conditions (eg heavy rain) mean that they don't always work.

I think they may be more of a psychological deterrent more than anything, either that or they're still in some testing phase.
Maybe. You will only find out if/when you get a ticket. Take your chances.

I use all the smart motorways, 45k a year and had no bother as yet, I'm not sure what people are doing if they are indeed getting done, a lot of Chinese whispers and social media tittle-tattle as per usual.
Lucky you. I can report that the ones on the M1 just north of Northampton very definitely work at 7.15 pm on a sunny May evening in 2018. If you're doing 47 when the 40 signs are up, expect a NIP and an invitation to a hotel one Saturday morning. Yes, I absolutely can confirm this.

Those are the ones that flashed me. I was on my way back from London after going down at 10pm the previous evening to do a job, I set off at 3am and was back for 5am, best run to/from centre of London I've ever had :D

The old ACPO guidelines were 10% + 2, so in a 50 limit that would make the threshold +7, as you observe. Normally at or slightly over this threshold leads to an invitation to a naughty boys course.
Now 10% + 1, I was told on mine a few years back. So I set the cruise control for 10% - 1.

Now 10% + 1, I was told on mine a few years back. So I set the cruise control for 10% - 1.

I have always been led to believe that the ACPO guideline was +10%, and an ex of mine, WAY up in the CPS and involved with complicated speed enforcement cases, never corrected me. I am 99% certain that my recollection comes from an ACPO spokesperson on R4, umpteen years ago.
Note though that it is only a guideline. You aren't going to get nicked for it, but 0.00001mph over the limit is illegal and nickable. There is, or at least was, one Midland police force that state categorically that they do/did NOT stick to ACPO guidelines, but said no more than that.

Speedometers NEVER read low, always high. I have checked mine over the years against speed warning cameras that flash your speed, or against a sat nav in more recent times. Until my current car they have indicated 10% high, but my 2015 Megane reads only 5% high.

I suspect that the "horrible" comment is nothing to do with speed, but death rates on smart motorways. For a quick, simple and precise summary, check iPlayer for PM this afternoon (R4 - starts 5.00pm?)

most smartphones have a GPS based speedometer app - it’s a good way to see how far out your speedo really is before setting your cruise control. ;)

I have to go on a stretch of smart motorway (M3 Hampshire to M25) about three times a week and it seems to still flow well.

I use VW adaptive cruise control and it slows down and accelerates upto your predefined maximum, so I just get on the motorway and press go. Just need to steer. And yes I still think it’s safe.

I use VW adaptive cruise control and it slows down and accelerates upto your predefined maximum, so I just get on the motorway and press go.
I’ve got one of those. Sitting happily 50 yards behind the car in front for ten minutes, then glance at the speedo and see he (and you) are tootling along at 60 although you set it at 76. Rather than a tiny little symbol on the display that means ‘I am controlling your speed’ I need a deafening klaxon. Or a spike through the seat.

advertisement

Back