advertisement

smallish floor standers that won't boom when used close to the rear wall in a smallish room?

Not floor standers at such, but we have a pair of stand mounts - Linn M109 - at our flat, and they're surprisingly good.

Mick

I have a shortlist, and have auditioned some candidates, but am still open to further ideas from those that have overcome this problem.

In the 70s I built the Daline small floorstander which is probably close to the best job that can be done at least with a midwoofer rather than a woofer+midrange which tend to be in speakers larger than small floorstanders. Wide and shallow, no baffle step correction in the crossover and transmission line loading on the small midwoofer. Certainly better than the recommendations of speakers with baffle step correction and narrow deep cabinets. Of course that still leaves room modes and particularly the axial ones. These could be improved with EQ as suggested above or better with EQ and a sub or two.

An alternative might be to use the room reflections to some extent in the manner of Sonab or later equivalents which place small floorstanders against the front wall and direct most of the sound away from the listener. If done successfully it enhances a sense of spaciousness but at the cost of imaging and usually tonal balance. Best to hear this type of speaker first because it is a different trade-off in terms of sound quality and not what you would find in say a studio.

Thanks to all for the help. Plenty more possibilities to audition! Surprised nobody has mentioned the PMC twenty five.23i’s. They were on my shortlist. Has anybody got/tried these, and what were your impressions?

Ps. Have owned Rega RX3’s (recommended above) and enjoyed them, but became increasingly conscious of my adverse room interaction problem (loose floorboards in close proximity to some pipes! Which could be sorted if I had the inclination) but which muddied the bass, and I did not feel was able to be ameliorated by the option of having the bass/midrange drivers, facing either in, or outwards.

Size for size, front-ported will always integrate more easily in a small room than rear ported, so for that reason (and 'cos I like 'em), I'd suggest Triangles - which ones depends on budget and overall room size, none of which you mention. Like the slightly retro look of the Boreas myself -

packshot-borea-br07-light-oak-3-ok-2160x1518.jpg

Totem Arro. I’ve used them for 8 years in a second system. I have them 7 inches from the back wall, and there is no boom. I run them with a Nait 1 or 2, and they are very engaging. They also do that “disappearing act” thing very nicely. If I really had to downsize, I could happily live with Arros as my only speakers.
You should at least hear them…

Larsen 4.3 or one of the bigger models?
Designed to be right up against the wall and use it to it's advantage in regards to Frequency Response and reduced SBIR.

I don't want to offend you. That is a myth. Bass radiates spherical the position of the bass port doesn't influence that.

The OP was asking about speakers that work well close to rear walls in smallish room, and that was the context of my reply, based on my own considerable experience of using speakers close to a rear wall in a small room. Front ported speakers always integrated better, not terribly difficult to figure-out why...

@earlofsodbury You think front ported speakers work better close to the wall is the wrong conclusion. That was the reason for my post. As long as you keep the diameter of the port as the distance to the wall, the port can work. And because bass radiates spherical it doesn't matter where the bass port is. I'm afraid to say but what you think is "not terribly difficult to figure out" is lacking any technical reason. Unfortunately this miss interpretation is done by a lot of hifi users and so the myth lives one.

Last edited:
Earl’s words “based on my own considerable experience of using speakers close to a rear wall in a small room. Front ported speakers always integrated better”

advertisement

Back