advertisement

Small speakers big room

Anyone using small speakers in a relatively large room? Just curious how people find them, thinking some form of ls3/5s or proac tab 10s etc.

Room size is 6 x 4.5 x 3.2m with a large bay window. Amp is exposure 3010S2D which is rated at 110 watts but seemingly 135 watts.

Many thanks

The amp matters very much for me. That's to say an amp which can really drive -- I'm thinking of old Radford valve amps really, -- makes a big difference to how well I can tolerate the limitations of the speakers. I'm sure there are other amps just as satisfying and for all I know yours is excellent

Jez Arkless once said that he thought these types of small speakers make hi-fis sound like very clear radios. I know where he was coming from. But with an amp like the Radford, it's still a joy to hear them because the sound is so beautiful.

I have a similarly sized room to the OP at 6.3m x 4.5m x 2.7m. My little Ergo E-IXs (5.25" sized mid-woofers) sounds surprisingly big and fulsome in it if I use a decently powered amp and recognise that it won't go head-bangingly loud. A small 'un has only so much mechanical travel, and so is naturally limited - especially when playing music with plenty of LF energy.

advertisement

Back