advertisement

Small speaker suggestions for leak stereo 20

kwmason

Won Ton On
Hi folks,
I’ve just jumped in feet first to scratch an itch and bought a leak stereo 20 with the leak pre amp and tuner.
I plan to have this in my office which is very small so I listen at low volumes and ideally bookshelf speakers would be perfect size wise.
So my questions are:
1 - as I listen at such low volumes in a work environment do I need to work about speaker sensitivity
2 - any particular bookshelf speaker recommendations for my circumstances when all I require is low level clarity
Thanks in advance
Kwm

Fabulous amp IMHO, but it is only 10 Watts, and being a tube amp doesn’t like the impedance dips found in many modern small speakers. LS3/5As are a classic pairing as they are high impedance and an easy load dispite being inefficient (I use the related JR149s with my Stereo 20). For current speakers Audio Note would be one of the first places I looked as they are obviously tube amp friendly and they always sound decent. Some little ProAcs like tubes too, and I’m sure there are plenty more out there, but avoid reactive loads and impedance dips.

In the context of low volumes in a small office then it will drive any speaker just fine. It's a relatively high feedback unit and has decently low output impedance etc by valve standards. The Troughline tuner and Varislope pre will be by far the biggest limitation on sound quality although the Varislope can be refurbed rather to give much better sound than a an unrestored one.

advertisement

Back