advertisement

Small speaker design

I would say a full-range driver would be ideal for a first project, less issues with a crossover and gives you a bit more freedom on the design.
Wall mounted means you could get away with no BSC to bring the efficiency back up.
The Mark Audio drivers are probably a good bet IMO

I need a small speaker to go on brackets (no option on this) , I like an open airy sound, a nice snappy bass. Heavy bass not important (and I wont get it anyway). Can I get this sort of sound from a single full range speaker
In my experience, no you won't. You won't get bass slam from single drivers IME. What you will get is bass rolling out of the cabinet as a result of cabiinet/horn reinforcement, but this isn't slam and doesn't come across as "snappy bass" in my experience. A 2 way, reflex or sealed box, will do it better.

I guess that depends on your requirements regarding dynamics and maximum volume. The TI100 is surely an excellent driver, but the AL170 can shift a bit more air. That‘s why the Bijou 170 was originally designed as a rear speaker in HC setups. Mind you, the KE is an excellent tweeter, too.

In my experience, no you won't. You won't get bass slam from single drivers IME. What you will get is bass rolling out of the cabinet as a result of cabiinet/horn reinforcement, but this isn't slam and doesn't come across as "snappy bass" in my experience. A 2 way, reflex or sealed box, will do it better.

That's not really the case any more. A modern wideband driver like the Pluvia 11 for example is very much like any other mid-bass driver. Plenty of excursion and a strong cone, the biggest difference really is that to behave as wideband driver the drivetrain needs to be be really light and the cone material needs to bee thin. The Pluvia 11 will happily produce the same bass loads as any similarly sized mid-bass driver.

That's interesting Stefan, thanks. I know that you are up to date on the latest developments in single drivers. My experience is of medium sized horns with either Fostex or Alpair, I can't remember. I also built my cardboard monstrosities with very small drivers, they sounded remarkably good for their size with surprising levels of true bass but again lacked slam.

advertisement

Back