advertisement

small monitor speaker choices

I'm very impressed with a pair of LS7Ts for about £150. Not exactly small monitors though, a lot bigger than I expected. Not sure what drivers they use but they sound very nice.

This class of speaker - the classic 8" driver in a largish stand-mount thin-wall box - has been one of the last remaining used bargains IMO but that is quickly coming to an end. Older Rogers, Chartwell and Spendor speakers are climbing quickly in value.

Ahhh right, I might hang on to them then in that case, even if they are too big for my needs I can always find somewhere to keep them safe as they are in really nice condition.

1980s. They're really nice speakers, although I don't really have a need for them so they only get used in the bedroom system (which only gets turned on once in a blue moon), which is a bit silly. I should probably sell them, but they're a bit big to post anywhere, so I never get round to it.

1980s. They're really nice speakers, although I don't really have a need for them so they only get used in the bedroom system (which only gets turned on once in a blue moon), which is a bit silly. I should probably sell them, but they're a bit big to post anywhere, so I never get round to it.

Bedroom system, I always knew you were cool. Save them, good speakers are always worth saving, I haven't figured out why yet but they are.

I know what you mean, I find it hard to part with some speakers. I should probably swap things about a bit, put them in the main system, but I can never be arsed.

my main speakers are an old pair of B&W DM2 (the 1st version) .... these are 3 way transmission design and have the same tweeters/supertweeters as the old Spendor BC1 but are far better at bass due to being transmissions

I paid £53 for mine and had the cabinets french polished by a mate who is a carpenter ... added new grille cloth and although old fashioned in looks, sounds really good with all types of music ... I have them connected to an old Pioneer SA-9800 amp (100 watts @ 8 ohms) and an old Marantz CD63 MKII K1 signature cdp, old Hitachi SSX 102K LC-OFC speaker cable and a Silver High Breed Quintessence interconnect ...

I do not think I will ever get rid of them, and may end up using them for a TV setup (when I eventually buy an old pair of IMF TLS80)

the B&W DM2 sell for cheap on ebay, especially if they are advertised as collection only ....not so long ago, I saw a mint pair advertised for £19.99 and they did not sell ... If I remember correctly, they were in Colchester and were collection only

There are many older good speakers for cheap ... i.e. if you do not mind buying older gear

The woofer was made in-house by Rogers (the real Rogers co. not the Asian interests who bought the name, trying to cash-in on a reputation) and the tweeter is a MB Quart double magnet titanium dome from Germany.
Enjoy!

Formidable- demo's a pair in 1988 and ended up with s/h SP1's. Was the cone material clearish polyprop?

I haven't compared the speakers in the OP, but I did compare some Spendor S3/5 against Spica Angelus and Green Mountain Audio Europas, both of which were a similar price in the US, and the S3/5s came up very short in just about every way.

I had expected the S3/5s to win on the basis of their numerous excellent reviews but I was completely underwhelmed by them. Unoffensive and visually pleasing is probably the most polite thing I can say about them. They had little bass, the treble was not very well defined, they didn't image particularly well. They sounded vague.

So on that basis I'd strongly recommend a demo before buying Spendor S3/5s as I was extremely disappointed with them.

Interesting I have seen people saying the Spendors beat the others, 'laid back' quoted, but others who said the other speakers were better. Depends on your tastes I guess. Certainly the Spendors seem to be available in more places. With the lowest price tag. However not entirely sold on their looks.

ATC Scm-7's? I have heard both the Spendor S3/5R's and the SA1's and preferred them to both. not as easy to drive and need a good amp but are a good bit punchier and a slightly 'cooler' tonal balance, compared to spendors.

4854846688_179b127bed.jpg

advertisement

Back