advertisement

Small Horns

Jonathan Ribee

Unavailable at present
I'm living in a place with a small listening area. Not permanent. Big Quad panels probably likely to be stored for future use.

I thought I might experiment with some small horns. Maybe the littlest Audio Notes or the tiniest Klipsch.

Anyone had an enticing experience with other small horns?

J.

Yes. I remember quite liking the klipsch kg .5 loudspeakers, kind of thing that would do well today off of a SET or a 40wpc el34 type job or tri-path, etc.

There are a few others like that, perhaps some zu bookshelves, or perhaps even heresy's depending on your definition of "small".

Frugelhorns are cheap and sound great with a SET, there's a guy on ebay who builds and sells them for around £600.

Frugalhorns look fun in a kind of "take me to your leader" way. I'll have a butchers.

Anyone heard Lowther Accolades?

'Horn' is an ambiguous term really as it means two entirely different things. To my mind "proper" horns are front-loaded, e.g. Klipsch, Altec, Avant Garde etc, and the best are fully horn-loaded (i.e. they don't have direct-radiating bass). For size constraints many speakers are kind of half-horn-loaded, e.g. Klipsch Heresys, Cornwalls, Altec 19s etc in that the top/top & mid is a compression driver and horn, the bass is a conventional direct radiating box. Then we come to designs such as Lowthers, Frugal Horns etc which to my mind are far closer to transmission-lines in that the horn aspect is just a means of back-loading the bass driver and the treble and mid is just standard direct radiating like any other box speaker. There are good and bad examples of all variations, but my mental image of "a horn speaker" is a Klipschorn, La Scala, Western Electric cinema horn etc, i.e. all front-loaded horn.

PS Jonathan, just pop round if you want to hear a pair of La Scalas. Mine is not a perfect audiophile installation by any stretch, they are just parked in deep alcoves and are my TV system, but they sound pretty decent driven by my little 2.3 Watt Decware.

Couldn't you describe the Impulse speakers, much beloved by JMH, even the small ones as horns. If so you can get them at an OK cost

Jonathan

Frugalhorns would be well worth a go - Orangeart (Stefan) of this parish will be able to help supply, and both Tony and I enjoyed the kit he'd put together for Scalford - as did Stefan I think! Worked very well on the Jazz playing - Dexter Gordon, Bill Evans Waltz for Debbie etc. - and quite economic because they are a small (4") wideband driver and no crossover, used in a simple truncated backhorn to load the bottom-end. Very joined-up lucid sound, ideal for the Jazz fan in the smaller room with a valve amp, I'd say.

Obviously I'd also recommend Impulse H6s as outrageous for the small footprint, but sourcing a pair now much more of a problem - rare-ish new ~20yrs ago, and people keep them. I wonder why.

Could you define "small"? I have been spending time with the Avantgarde Zero 1 XD this week. To my mind that qualifies as a small horn speaker, but at 104cm x 49cm x 32cm I would have to concede that they are quite big speakers by most people's standards.

PS Jonathan, just pop round if you want to hear a pair of La Scalas. Mine is not a perfect audiophile installation by any stretch, they are just parked in deep alcoves and are my TV system, but they sound pretty decent driven by my little 2.3 Watt Decware.

Most excellent. Thank you. Especially as we're virtually neighbours now.

Could you define "small"? I have been spending time with the Avantgarde Zero 1 XD this week. To my mind that qualifies as a small horn speaker, but at 104cm x 49cm x 32cm I would have to concede that they are quite big speakers by most people's standards.

Probably a bit big - but they look so much like how the 1960s thought the 1980s would be like - very UFO. High tech horns. Hmmm.

What about a pair of JBL 4425 not huge but not exactly tiny either....great horn dispersion with the famous Dolly Parton wave guides and solid bass from the 12" woofer sure the bigger versions are probably better but the 4425 is plenty good enough for a small listening room

This looks like it might be fun, no UK dealer though...

magus-speaker1.jpg

http://teresonic.com/magus/#

My local Klipsch dealer seems to only do the "heritage" ones.

advertisement

Back