Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Small Automatic Car (max budget £6500)

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by AnilS, Sep 28, 2022.

1. AnilS

AnilS pfm Member

Looking for my niece (new driver and first car). If anyone knows of anyone selling or have one themselves, and thinking of letting it go. Criteria as follows:

• Automatic gearbox (Not semi auto)
    • 2012 or newer
    • £6500 max
    • Good service history and MOT
    • HPI Clear
    • Non smokers car
    • Number of doors not important (3/5)
    • City car or small hatchback (thinking Hyundai i10 or Suzuki Swift)
    • Prefer engine size around 1.2 litres (petrol)
    • ULEZ compliant
    • Within 50 miles of the West Midlands
    Anyone have anything that fits the criteria? Greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  2. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

West heath motors seems to have a great range of automatics in that range . Not checked today but in past have . Very good long standing and reliable garage and worth a visit

AnilS likes this.
  3. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Worth reading the telegraph motoring pages re the i10 gearbox..not entirely complimentary

AnilS likes this.
  4. AnilS

AnilS pfm Member

Will do but very few pickings out there and plenty that are category damaged, without declaring it.

hifinutt likes this.
  5. gerlando

gerlando Prog Rocker

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-se...-size=1.4&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

AnilS likes this.
  6. AnilS

AnilS pfm Member

@gerlando I did this but:
    • Anything Astra/Focus/Golf sized is too big
    • Corsa D outdated and she could have a Corsa E (looking at one maybe tomorrow)
    • Fiat/Aygo/Panda/107/C1/Up/Citigo/Mii are all clutchless manuals, not true automatics.
    Favouring a traditional auto, like Hyundai i10, Suzuki Swift .....
    Would consider DSG also but mostly out of budget.

7. AnilS

AnilS pfm Member

Market for this size vehicle favours manuals unfortunately.

Lets see what transpires. May have to compromise budget and age. I will help her and buy on condition.

8. gerlando

gerlando Prog Rocker

Have you thought about a Fiat 500?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...Petrol&page=1&percentVehiclePriceDeposit=true

AnilS likes this.
  9. AnilS

AnilS pfm Member

10. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

If she can wait a couple a couple if months I suspect used car prices will tank. Fiesta 1.0 auto is good.

AnilS likes this.
  11. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Used cars prices going through the roof !!! The Mrs bought a corsa new 10 years ago and going up in value .

AnilS likes this.
  12. AnilS

AnilS pfm Member

There's truth in prices up as @hifinutt has mentioned but I tend to agree with @Rodrat that prices will cool when the reality of cost of living hits in all aspects.

This is the advice I have given her but I was putting it out there, if anyone was looking to offload. :)

13. flutteringwow

flutteringwow I am a sound quality evaluation device

They've actually come down quite a lot in the last couple of months.

Webuyanycar who basically control the market for preowned cars overbought through the pandemic and inflated the resale prices, but now with overstock, they have brought them down.

My partners Audi was bought at £18k two years ago, it hit £23k last year, then £21k three months ago, but now down to £15k.

Rug Doc and AnilS like this.
  14. tenpercenter

tenpercenter Don't ya rile 'em.....

Can’t beat a Toyota Yaris for a smallish reliable car. Bought my daughter an 8 year old one 4 years ago and not missed a beat.

stevec67 and AnilS like this.
  15. cj66

cj66 pfm Member

Don't put your trust in an older Ford auto box, they have a dubious reputation everywhere.
    Here, where auto is king and barely a manual box anywhere (normal cars), the Fords really had a very poor record for that dodgy auto box. Ford cars sales tanked so far that they have now pulled their presence from the country. (4x4s still very popular though).
    The Mazda 2 "Skyaktiv" auto is supposed to be very good.

AnilS likes this.
  16. AnilS

AnilS pfm Member

Nothing locally and we have been looking for a Yaris also.

17. AnilS

AnilS pfm Member

Ford ecobomb they are nicknamed! We are avoiding these but the older tiptronic are OK.

Mazda 2 Skyactiv rare as hens teeth.

18. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

AnilS likes this.
  19. AnilS

AnilS pfm Member

Appreciated @JezmondTutu but looked at them and for a new driver, it has a few too many blindspots. She also found it a bit too big. Same with the Nissan Note.

More compact, the better.

Anyone have any experience if the Toyota iQ?

I know it's barely a 3 seater but they already have a couple of larger cars at their disposal.

20. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Watch out for insurance on new drivers! I though a Swift would be a good car for one of my daughters (nearly 4 yrs driving now) and was surprised at how expensive that was going to be. And many of the usual suspects were also higher insurance than I thought - Corsas, Fiestas, Polos and so on. Maybe the boy racer image is hurting them? Anyway, we ended up with a 100Hp Yaris that was very reasonable (superb car btw!). Silly expensive at 4 years old, but it was low mileage, ex-motability and of course will be super reliable.

Was not auto and in a different budget to OP request, but all the same... spend some time on the comparison sites for insurance is my recommendation. It seems it is not as simple as just what Ins group the car is in..