advertisement

Sliding floorstanders over carpet

Scampy4

pfm Member
I have a relatively small living room (55 cubic metres) which is used as my listening room. To make the best use of the floorspace (22 cubic metres), I keep my speakers against the wall until I want to listen to music. I then pull them out away from the wall to position I like best.

However, I’m getting older, and although the speakers are relatively light they are getting more difficult for me to to lift. The speakers are ProAc Response D25s and weigh about 25Kg each.

Does anybody have a simple (and safe) solution that they deploy for regularly moving speakers across a metre or so of carpet?

I would prefer to keep the speakers rather than change them for something else.

Leave them out and live with it? As you are getting older, you probably have few friends and those who remain won't be very mobile so I can't see this being a problem moving forward.

You’re right, they’re all dying off faster than the Somme. However, I’m not the only one who lives in the house.

Do you currently use spikes or are they just sitting on the carpet? If the latter then I can't imagine a better solution rather than attaching something with less friction to the bottom of the speakers.

Rather than spikes, maybe cones underneath? I’ve used the MusicWorks PEEK ones to good effect, and the tip of the cone is rounded off so if you’re on carpet, you can move them across it easily enough without having to ‘walk’ them into place.

Do you currently use spikes or are they just sitting on the carpet? If the latter then I can't imagine a better solution rather than attaching something with less friction to the bottom of the speakers.
Thanks for replying. The speakers are on cones with a very pronounced spike at the tip which makes terrific marks in the carpet! They are down firing with the port on the underside of the cabinet, so I can’t just take the cones off, rest them on the carpet, and then drag the speakers out when I want them, unfortunately.

Rather than spikes, maybe cones underneath? I’ve used the MusicWorks PEEK ones to good effect, and the tip of the cone is rounded off so if you’re on carpet, you can move them across it easily enough without having to ‘walk’ them into place.
This sounds promising. Do you move your speakers regularly?

Thanks for replying. The speakers are on cones with a very pronounced spike at the tip which makes terrific marks in the carpet! They are down firing with the port on the underside of the cabinet, so I can’t just take the cones off, rest them on the carpet, and then drag the speakers out when I want them, unfortunately.

I once had some speakers (Yamaha NS1000XW) very heavy on carpet with sound care super spikes... These have a far wider footprint, so might be easier to move around, whilst keeping them up off the floor so the port can breathe?

Maybe something like this.
We use them under furniture to shift it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Maybe something like this.
We use them under furniture to shift it.
Well, I must say, these look like they would work well. Most of the examples seem to be over hard floors, but it says they work on carpet, too. Somebody said they used it for shifting their grand piano!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Well, I must say, these look like they would work well. Most of the examples seem to be over hard floors, but it says they work on carpet, too. Somebody said they used it for shifting their grand piano!

I bought some for my mother so she could shift sofas across carpet - they slide really easily.

eta: and for under the washing machine, so that can be slid out.

Or these? Are yours on spikes? They should unscrew and be replaceable.

LINK
Yes, the spikes would unscrew and could be replaced with these. I wonder how well they would work over carpet. They’re from the Ukraine, aren’t they?

I once had some speakers (Yamaha NS1000XW) very heavy on carpet with sound care super spikes... These have a far wider footprint, so might be easier to move around, whilst keeping them up off the floor so the port can breathe?
I missed this earlier, sorry. These would be effective, I think. I have a short pile carpet, so objects can slide across its woolly embrace with some facility. I’m not sure if the company is still operating, though.

advertisement

Back