advertisement

Sky Arts

New series of Guy Garvey’s From The Vaults starting next Saturday- this one’s all performances from 78, including interviews with MES and Magazine

New series of Guy Garvey’s From The Vaults starting next Saturday- this one’s all performances from 78, including interviews with MES and Magazine

Thanks I love that series.

As a child in the 70s my parents only let me watch the BBC...

...ITV was considered vulgar.

So I missed out on most of this stuff from the ITV vaults

If only they could get Guy to stop talking over intros and outtros ....

If only they could get Guy to stop talking full stop. I've yet to hear him say anything insightful despite his near ubiquity when a slightly alternative talking head is required.

Despite that, the archive shows I've seen have been very enjoyable - but the 70s are starting to seem a very long time ago :(

At least Garvey is over 40 years old - so almost a proper adult.

It is those Sky Arts talking head programmes that get 12 year olds talking expertly about the late 1960s that really get my goat.

BTW anyone watching "Gold" on the BBC?

The Brinks Mat job was 1983...

...so of course the 16 year old programme researcher has Kenneth Noye (a dim bloke from Kent) driving down a country lane in his Rolls Royce listening to New Order's "Age of Consent".

Now we all know that the chances of getting a New Order album track on daytime Radio 1 in 1983 - were as likely as finding Shergar.

So are we expected to think that good old Ken - in between gold smelting and stabbing people - fired up his Nakamichi to record "Power, Corruption & Lies" on a TDK metal tape?

...So that he could listen to it in his metallic gold Roller?

Complete nonsense of course...

...Kent villains were still busy listening to this kind of crap:-

There was a similar research flaw in Kenneth Branagh's movie Belfast. Pretty much everything was accurate in terms of period detail. Branagh and I are the same age and the character playing him got the same Christmas presents in 1969 that I did!

However, while some of the soundtrack, for example everlasting Love, was from the time the movie was set, a lot of the rest of the soundtrack was Van Morrison songs most of which were from the early to mid 70s or, in the case of Bright Side of the Road, from 1982.

There was a similar research flaw in Kenneth Branagh's movie Belfast. Pretty much everything was accurate in terms of period detail. Branagh and I are the same age and the character playing him got the same Christmas presents in 1969 that I did!

However, while some of the soundtrack, for example everlasting Love, was from the time the movie was set, a lot of the rest of the soundtrack was Van Morrison songs most of which were from the early to mid 70s or, in the case of Bright Side of the Road, from 1982.

Quite so - people forget that for most of the early 80s Joy Division / New Order were essentially a cult act (on a similar level to The Fall).

Of course child BBC researchers are easily fooled by strolling into W.H.Smiths today and seeing not one but two expensive Mojo / Classic Pop specials on our Mancunian friends. It wasn't always this way!

If it's non-diagetic, what's the problem?

Interesting point - "Temptation" in Episode 2 of "Gold" is playing during general action - so to be fair is non-diagetic.

"Temptation" barely cracked the Top 40 so wasn't played much on daytime Radio 1. But I concede that this track is played in a non-diagetic scene...

...so I'll let the junior sound researcher off on this example.

But "Age Of Consent" is playing while Kenneth Noye is driving a Rolls Royce. The implication is that the music is coming from the car radio...

...so clearly diagetic (IMHO the junior sound researcher needs his ears boxing for this one).

I've discussed this with some friends. It kind of is and isn't. Its more than adding mood IMO - Morrison ( the Belfast Cowboy) is so closely associated with the place where the film is set, the period detail of the film is so sharp, that the choice of his music to sound track so much of the film seems to be working on several levels.

Choosing to almost exclusively use Morrison for the soundtrack makes it very significant component of the film. Its not as simple as being non diagetic because of that association and is at odds with the rest of the film as every other period detail is so closely researched and so important to the underlying meaning of the film. Movies that are that closely linked to a specific time and place usually either carefully research a soundtrack that fits or commission a fresh soundtrack that echoes the period or the action. As a result it seemed incongruous although, for those less aware of details, it worked very well and at times , for example when they use "And the healing has begun" acted as a counterpoint to the narrative. So it did worked in a non-diagetic sense but less so in terms of the films project of resenting an authentic recreation of the time.

Of course this would only bother a music loving pedant who spent a chunk of his career teaching Film and Media Studies.... ( or as @Seeker_UK would have it, "miserable old men who smell a bit of wee")

Its a beautiful, and beautifully made, film btw.

Watched this yesterday. I don't think I have seen Devoto interviewed before, didn’t realise quite how precious he was. The XRay Spex performance was interesting - she seemed pretty uninspired to my eyes, not quite the revolutionary force she is claimed to have been.

Sky Arts? An oxymoron if ever there was.

Going back to The Gold thing. Yeah. How wrong could they get it. Not just the music but the cars . Totally wrong and out of place. Never mind the wobbly cam , miscasting and mumblefest dialogue.

Also, Frank Maple - the most wanted man in Europe according to the London Evening Standard - was never "banged up" over the Bank of America heist. He was extradited from Greece but walked free from the Old Bailey when the supergrass refused to testify against him.

I know this because I was trying to buy a flat in Kingston from him at the time!

Actually, Bright Side of the Road is from 1979.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_Side_of_the_Road

Ah, so it is.

I was mixing up Into the Music and Beautiful Vision and thought it was from the latter. I think the point still stands through.

Last edited:
There's loadsa good stuff to be found, but there's a lot of repetition, especially of the "music icons" series, which is half an hour of a half-dozen talking heads telling us about the "icon". Yawn.

"The Art of Drumming" was a great docu series, even for the non-drummer.

Sky Arts? An oxymoron if ever there was.

Going back to The Gold thing. Yeah. How wrong could they get it. Not just the music but the cars . Totally wrong and out of place. Never mind the wobbly cam , miscasting and mumblefest dialogue.

I actually made it through to the final episode of "Gold".

The sound man must have been a Manc...

...as well the earlier New Order tracks - the last episode of the series featured "Atmosphere" by Joy Division.

Felt the bloke playing Noye was miscast - too baby faced to be menacing.

I notice this with dramas set in the 70s / 80s. Back then most blokes over 30 looked proper old.

Think Regan in The Sweeney - John Thaw was only in his 30s but looked like someone in his 50s.

Thought the actor playing John "Goldfinger" Palmer was quite good. Also that Scots bloke playing one of the detectives has the right moustache for the 80s.

The repetition of programmes on Sky Arts annoys me...

...every week you seem to get Queen, Johnny Cash etc.

advertisement

Back