advertisement

Sky Arts to go free to air in September

Sky strategically sticking the boot in to BBC4 I guess. Newsnight aside they’ve already won the news broadcasting battle, the BBC being hopelessly bad at present.

Many years ago when I had a Sky subscription I felt Sky Arts was a very poor cousin to BBC4, but it does broadcast much of value so I welcome it being free to air. I just hope BBC4 survives the Tories and their current hopeless BBC management.

That's the last nail in the coffin for my Sky subscription.
I can't think of anything else on my Sky package that makes it worth while.

I see some Sky Arts on my Virgin subscription. Not sure if it's everything they put out (ie is there more than one channel?) but it's pretty lowbrow as Arts stuff goes and often a pale substitute for what BBC4 puts out. They broadcast Andre ****ing Rieu, fergodssake...

I do quite like those portrait/landscape artist of the year progs though, for a bit of lightly entertaining watching paint dry.

Sky Arts has run some of the best music docs I have ever seen, think it runs rings round BBC4.

The regular ‘discovering’ strand which focuses on directors & actors is generally superb also.

Ultimately it has money behind it so this is excellent news for the arts.

They broadcast Andre ****ing Rieu, fergodssake...

That’s my image for sure, hours of that crap, open air Strauss waltzes, Kenny G etc whereas the BBC have the Proms each year plus a lot of interesting documentaries they either churn out themselves or commission. I’m sure the BBC produces far, far more original programming and that is the key. Someone needs to make the stuff otherwise we just get endless repeats.

I see some Sky Arts on my Virgin subscription. Not sure if it's everything they put out (ie is there more than one channel?) but it's pretty lowbrow as Arts stuff goes and often a pale substitute for what BBC4 puts out. They broadcast Andre ****ing Rieu, fergodssake...

I do quite like those portrait/landscape artist of the year progs though, for a bit of lightly entertaining watching paint dry.

There used to be two channels but they combined them into one a few years ago. Needless to say it was the ‘highbrow’ content that lost out.

Sky Arts has run some of the best music docs I have ever seen, think it runs rings round BBC4.

The regular ‘discovering’ strand which focuses on directors & actors is generally superb also.

Ultimately it has money behind it so this is excellent news for the arts.

As the football is over, any recommendations?

They broadcast Andre ing Rieu, fergodssake
I like a bit of swaying about... with a pint. Perhaps not.

Any way, I liked the movie star docs. Rita Hayworth, Natalie Wood, Robert Mitchum etc and the music docs. Nice to see Robert Plant in his Celtic homeland in the Brian Johnson series of meetings.

We will be interested to have a look what is on sky arts. We would never subscribe to sky (on principle)

We watch bbc4 quite a bit.

The wife works in 'the arts' (including museums), so she is always interested. Especially if it has 'culture' somewhere in the title.

Ad breaks every 5-7 minutes. A two hour documentary will be composed of 30-40 minutes of adverts. They also endlessly recycle a limited programme. That said, they do show some decent stuff but I’m much more comfortable with the BBC than I am with Murdoch.

advertisement

Back