advertisement

Skunk Anansie

guydarryl

pfm Member
Just heard a Skunk Anansie track on radio 2.
To my shame, I have no knowledge of their albums, but this one track really got me - bass reminded me of Noel Redding/Hendrix track.

Any suggestions for which album/albums to start with?

(I was also rather taken with the vocals :))

Skin is also a nutter live.
The band prefer small(ish) venues and Skin spends a good deal of gigs stage-diving.

Their most recent album is probably their tamest, least stand-out. Check what is on vinyl - a few of the LPs are out there cheap - they've only recorded 6 in over 25 years.

Skin has also released 2(?) solo albums,quite different music to the band.

Playing Glasto this weekend as well so you can probably watch them on the BBC streams either live or afterwards.

A great band, I remember reading about them in Kerrrrrrrrrrrrrrang when I was a young teen in mid 90s.

They are playing at Glastonbury on Saturday 25th, not sure what time. BBC should have them on live or iplayer. Good music and one hel'a'va voice.

edit... missed matthewr post above!!!!!!

I also have the first two albums. They did enter the scene wrecking ball style but times have moved on. The same albums are still fun, though possibly showing their age a little bit.
I've not heard any of the later albums, just the singles from them.

If you are a fan or have just discovered the band, this is an absolute must-own. The recording quality and performance are epic and Skin's voice is dynamite, it really is an exceptional concert.

614D05KH6JL._AC_.jpg

Their former drummer Mark Richardson was in the year below me at Whitby School. A nice lad, not sure I would have predicted his career in those days but pleased he’s had such an interesting and fulfilling life.

Cheers BB

Spurred by this thread, I investigated what was available on LP...............

I have had Wonerlustre on CD for ages, but the LP is playing now............................

Skin's vocal is so, so sweet, so on the ball. The rest of the recording is OK. The music as a whole, is .................... it just makes me smile, so much.

Fabulous music.

Have recently got into Skunk Anansie myself. I think CD is the way to go, good digital recordings with little or no compression to my ears. Difficult to see what the (expensive) vinyl originals could add. I have the live in London RSD vinyl but probably the CD is just as good.
The think about this band is that while Skins voice and vocal performance is to die for, with clever interesting lyrics, the rest of the band sound like session musicians. There is not one track where the riff drives the song and the short instrumental interludes are plenty long enough to get me shouting for Skin to come back.
The best rock bands combine great vocals, lyrics and musicianship. Zeppelin, Yes, are two obvious examples. Skunk Anansie is a Skin solo act.

If you are a fan or have just discovered the band, this is an absolute must-own. The recording quality and performance are epic and Skin's voice is dynamite, it really is an exceptional concert.

614D05KH6JL._AC_.jpg
Is that the Cadogan Hall show? I was one of the sound engineers that day.

I am not sure, but I gave it a spin tonight and it is incredible. You contributed to the most truly live sound reproduction I have ever experienced :)

advertisement

Back