advertisement

Skipping/stuttery CA CXC...

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hi all. I recently bought a CA CXC which is prone to skipping or stuttering on possibly every second disc, even when the disc is visibly perfect. I’ve emailed CA since the unit I believe to be under 2 years old (though I am not the original purchaser so have no original PoP). Assuming they don’t help - and they might, to be fair to them - is there anything I can do to mitigate this skipping? In the past, I know you could buy cd cleaning kits and the like, but I’m very skeptical that it would have anything to do with dirt. My guess is in something iffy or failing in the mechanism itself, although it’s silent when playing and not obviously vibrating or any tell-tale mechanical issues.

Any ideas? Like I say, maybe CA will be helpful, but assuming they aren’t....

I have a CXC; I bought it from Richer Sounds. The first machine wouldn't play some discs, but Richer swapped it for a new machine wothout any problems. It won't be the CDs, so I wouldn't bother to clean them tbh, it will be a machine issue almost certainly. I wouldn't give up on Cambridge, I'm sure they will be helpful.

That’s a problem we often witness here in Canada............
Your dealer should provide you a new machine as a replacement to make it straight forward/worry free IMO.
I had the same problem with a Yamaha CD-S700 and my dealer replaced it for a Marantz 6006 and gave me a credit for the price difference.
I then ran the Marantz 24/24 hours for a period of 7 days in a row non stop on repeat to make my own quality control and it’s flawless.
I use it as a CD transport and very satisfied with the sound.
Too bad those large corporate organizations have such repeated quality issues......

I bought it used from a fellow PFM member. I believe it’s still within warranty but not 100% sure if the warranty is transferable...

No warranty if originally bought from Richersounds, warranty isn't transferable with RS.

I should have chased up with the seller at the time (as it did skip from day one) but then I got distracted replacing my amp and now a month or two has passed :/

I opened it up yesterday and found it to be surprisingly dusty inside, with some fluff near to (but not on) the lens. Cleaned it all up, now it *seems* okay - 3 CDs have played flawlessly but as with any intermittent thing it could be too early to assume success.....

I opened it up yesterday and found it to be surprisingly dusty inside, with some fluff near to (but not on) the lens. Cleaned it all up, now it *seems* okay - 3 CDs have played flawlessly but as with any intermittent thing it could be too early to assume success.....

Good news; fingers crossed that it's ok!

advertisement

Back