Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Skipping/stuttery CA CXC...

Discussion in 'audio' started by JTC, Sep 15, 2020.

1. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Hi all. I recently bought a CA CXC which is prone to skipping or stuttering on possibly every second disc, even when the disc is visibly perfect. I’ve emailed CA since the unit I believe to be under 2 years old (though I am not the original purchaser so have no original PoP). Assuming they don’t help - and they might, to be fair to them - is there anything I can do to mitigate this skipping? In the past, I know you could buy cd cleaning kits and the like, but I’m very skeptical that it would have anything to do with dirt. My guess is in something iffy or failing in the mechanism itself, although it’s silent when playing and not obviously vibrating or any tell-tale mechanical issues.

Any ideas? Like I say, maybe CA will be helpful, but assuming they aren’t....

2. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Nobody? No response from CA, but maybe it’s an easy fix?

3. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Where did you buy it from?

4. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

I have a CXC; I bought it from Richer Sounds. The first machine wouldn't play some discs, but Richer swapped it for a new machine wothout any problems. It won't be the CDs, so I wouldn't bother to clean them tbh, it will be a machine issue almost certainly. I wouldn't give up on Cambridge, I'm sure they will be helpful.

5. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

That’s a problem we often witness here in Canada............
    Your dealer should provide you a new machine as a replacement to make it straight forward/worry free IMO.
    I had the same problem with a Yamaha CD-S700 and my dealer replaced it for a Marantz 6006 and gave me a credit for the price difference.
    I then ran the Marantz 24/24 hours for a period of 7 days in a row non stop on repeat to make my own quality control and it’s flawless.
    I use it as a CD transport and very satisfied with the sound.
    Too bad those large corporate organizations have such repeated quality issues......

6. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

I bought it used from a fellow PFM member. I believe it’s still within warranty but not 100% sure if the warranty is transferable...

Del monaco likes this.
  7. twotone

twotone pfm Member

No warranty if originally bought from Richersounds, warranty isn't transferable with RS.

8. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

I should have chased up with the seller at the time (as it did skip from day one) but then I got distracted replacing my amp and now a month or two has passed :/

9. mansr

mansr Objectionist

Maybe the original owner is willing to submit a warranty claim.

TheDecameron likes this.
  10. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Just do a nice email to the Services department.Should do the trick.

hifinutt likes this.
  11. wylton

These are excellent CD transports, but it's a shame that they are so flakey.

12. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

I opened it up yesterday and found it to be surprisingly dusty inside, with some fluff near to (but not on) the lens. Cleaned it all up, now it *seems* okay - 3 CDs have played flawlessly but as with any intermittent thing it could be too early to assume success.....

mega lord likes this.
  13. wylton

Good news; fingers crossed that it's ok!

Del monaco and JTC like this.
  14. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

All good after 10 CDs so it must have just been dust or fluff. Relief!

hifinutt and Wilson like this.
  15. wylton

Glad to hear it is sorted.

Wilson likes this.