advertisement

Skills and experience v Bullshit

CJ14

O.H.
Yesterday was as sad disappointment and a big eye opener for me. On Tuesday I delivered for the best Hi-fi Dealer of Inca Tech Claymore from the 1980,s a retro Claymore we now make. Whilst there on the counter was a DUFF modern expensive integrated amp with a combo CD player, it was opened, inside I saw cheap car stereo chips and a very poor PSU design. The whole thing looked as if it came straight from a Application Note. No new designs smaller nasty power supply, Power amp chip,s with crap thermal properties. It then struck me hard the skills of the designer of my past were all gone and this no skill type of design is now in prominent pole position, how long would this piece of kit last, certainly not 40yrs. Then yesterday this fantastic old friend/dealer rang me to tell me the new Claymore Retro sounded just like the old designs but with more holographic sound and deeper bass with lots of grunt. But it showed up equipment faults i.e. the new equipment of today is design to match the same product line, for example Rega to Rega and Linn to Linn . He also told me people are no longer concerned in the quality of the sound and the near real life presentation but only in style and can it talk to digital lies like a NAS systems. What have we done, well we have been conned. The marketing Gura,s (only to make money) have taught us incorrectly and to there opinion that this cheap shite and throw away products is best, best for who I ask?, certainly not the music or you ears and pleasure.
Now my thanks and good wish go to the staff and my friend Ian for all there help, and to show me to make a product sell it as to glow in the dark be cheap to make and die in a 2yrs, a design a 17yr old could do from a apps note, with no skills or feel for the music but worst of all no experience.

It's a sign of the times. In another thread on PFM we hear the excited squeals of schoolgirls as they prepare to spend over a £1k on a phone that the company will quietly obsolete in 5 years or so. Just enjoy the products you've been involved in and don't ask 'why'.

CHE

Cheap isn't necessarily throwaway. The Denon all-in-one I bought nearly 20 years ago is still going strong and sounds excellent.

Conversely there's plenty of expensive rubbish out there, hand-crafted or not.

No it is not advertising, and Understanding may be hard for some, but just think how hard it was for me to write it, I am dyslexic and I have am still trying to live around a stroke, so try harder please.

Colin, it read fine, was a little difficult in places but nothing that couldn't be understood. Remember the forum sadly is full of elitest grammar and spelling Nazi's, so its nothing personal to you, it's just how they validate the meaning of their existence thats all! Say much more about them than you, just shrug it off dude :)

Colin, it read fine, was a little difficult in places but nothing that couldn't be understood. Remember the forum sadly is full of elitest grammar and spelling Nazi's, so its nothing personal to you, it's just how they validate the meaning of their existence thats all! Say much more about them than you, just shrug it off dude :)
There's no apostrophe in Nazis plural. :p

Glad you’re still able to work your electrical magic Mr W, wishing you all the very best. Sadly there is a lot of BS in this post truth, throwaway world. Thankfully there are still many who appreciate true quality.

It's a sign of the times. In another thread on PFM we hear the excited squeals of schoolgirls as they prepare to spend over a £1k on a phone that the company will quietly obsolete in 5 years or so. Just enjoy the products you've been involved in and don't ask 'why'.

Has ‘obsolete’ become a verb now?

. The whole thing looked as if it came straight from a Application Note. No new designs smaller nasty power supply, Power amp chip,s with crap thermal properties. It then struck me hard the skills of the designer of my past were all gone and this no skill type of design is now in prominent pole position, how long would this piece of kit last, certainly not 40yrs. Then yesterday this fantastic old friend/dealer rang me to tell me the new Claymore Retro sounded just like the old designs but with more holographic sound and deeper bass with lots of grunt. But it showed up equipment faults i.e. the new equipment of today is design to match the same product line, for example Rega to Rega and Linn to Linn . He also told me people are no longer concerned in the quality of the sound and the near real life presentation but only in style and can it talk to digital lies like a NAS systems. What have we done, well we have been conned. The marketing Gura,s (only to make money) have taught us incorrectly and to there opinion that this cheap shite and throw away products is best, best for who I ask?, certainly not the music or you ears and pleasure.
Now my thanks and good wish go to the staff and my friend Ian for all there help, and to show me to make a product sell it as to glow in the dark be cheap to make and die in a 2yrs, a design a 17yr old could do from a apps note, with no skills or feel for the music but worst of all no experience.

It depends on the target market, if it's good enough for the target market it's a good product, I design my own amplifiers, have nice PSUs good rejection high quality current mirrors etc, polycarbobate capacitors etc but that's for me, hardly anyone else cares. Besides a lot of chip amps these days are reasonable quality, not great otherwise I would use one but good enough for most people.

Madam

In the UK it is normal to use the word misspelt. The term misspell is more commonly used by Americans and is to be disencouraged.

Regards and salutations.

Mick

Dear Spanish Mick

You seem to have been on the Sangria a bit too much old fruit.

There is no such word as disencourage.

The word you were scrabbling for is discourage.

Carry on.

Most things seem built nowadays to only last a certain time and then breakdown or become obsolete. Also the fact that a lot of modern appliances are not able to be repaired easily or too cost prohibitive to repair at all.

The culture now is to just chuck it away and buy a new one. Sad really as so much material is being wasted to keep replacing this stuff, plus more items going to the tip.

I know not everything can last 40 years but if I buy something I do expect it to last a good number of years if not abused.

Most things seem built nowadays to only last a certain time and then breakdown or become obsolete. Also the fact that a lot of modern appliances are not able to be repaired easily or too cost prohibitive to repair at all.

The culture now is to just chuck it away and buy a new one. Sad really as so much material is being wasted to keep replacing this stuff, plus more items going to the tip.

I know not everything can last 40 years but if I buy something I do expect it to last a good number of years if not abused.

Well I am glad to say, I am getting working Claymore 40+yrs old in for upgrading and in the last year I have done about 100 and only 2 that was duff and due to tampering buy past owners.
I am also getting older kit I did for upgrades, from my Magnum days, crickey I have just realized I am a fossil.
OK I will donate my used carcase to the Natural History Museum under the heading freaks of nature heading.;)

advertisement

Back