advertisement

Size matters, advice needed.

ross

pfm Member
Alright, now the builders have left and the dust has settled, I find myself with a space exactly 250mm deep into which to fit an integrated amplifier and all its connections, to let me listen to digital radio thro the tv, and into my dynaudio speakers.

There is no real restriction on the width.

Is there such an amp?

Thanks for your help.

Even if there is you will still have to find room for the cables and wiring that will come out of the back of it. Can you arrange to install it with the amp face plate pointing to the ceiling and the cables exiting from what would then be the bottom?

Something like a Creek 4040 or A&R A60 are pretty shallow, and would probably fit in that space and still leave room for cables.

I seem to remember Shearne Audio boxes being pretty shallow - not sure how easy they are to track down, but I think they're pretty well regarded. A quick search didn't throw up any dimension specs for me though.

After cables, you'd have maybe 200mm left for the amp - that's quite optimistic. Would any sort of overhang be acceptable? If there are fixed shelves in the space, could they be taken out and a floorstanding rack put in?

Quad 34/306 pre & power will fit. Shallow and tiny in all dimensions. The power amp has the sink designed as the front panel so that also takes care of ventilation.

£300 should get you a nice late (grey) pair.

Following on from muzzer, fwiw, I have a mini-T amp currently doing stand-in duties on my main hifi system while I wait for a new power amp. It's not shabby at all although it's not really powerful enough to drive my speakers to the volume I'd like it has a very clear, very slightly warmer than neutral sound with a lot of bass extension, and it doesn't sound coloured.

Mine produces more background noise than I'd like, but I gather that's a problem only for some older versions. If I had more sensitive speakers, and a slightly smaller room I could happily stick with it.

advertisement

Back