Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Size does matter!

Discussion in 'off topic' started by cctaylor, Aug 31, 2021.

1. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

Our 55 inch OLED TV has developed a fault. The dealer has kindly lent us a 42inch telly while ours is away for repair. Bit of a shock to the system but if we had to use the TV from the dining room we would have only had a 32 inch screen.

It just shows how you get used to size of your TV screen. We had a 32inch CRT screen for many years in a similar sized room and thought it was fine. Mind you I don't think anything bigger than the 55 would be suitable in our room.

2. Nero

Nero Call me 'Goose'

I bought an early Sony LCD telly years ago. I think it is 15” and was fine in my little flat at the time. I have it in one of the guest rooms now, and you need binoculars to watch it!

cctaylor likes this.
  3. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

The older you get the bigger the telly you need I reckon. Monitor even. For computer stuff a 32" 4k monitor is the minimum for photo editing and internet monging duties these days and a 55 inch OLED for gaming from 6 feet away with an Xbox Series X is the new defacto standard.

65" for the living room TV and movie watching is now not big enough. 8k 85 inch. Yes.

You only live once. Make the most of it.

4. canonman

canonman pfm Member

Many years ago, my dear departed father wondered why we needed a massive 28 in TV in our lounge. I wonder what he would have thought, 20 years later, about the 120 in screen in the cinema room!

5. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

As my TV gets bigger, I watch it less. I’m now up to (hang on, I’ll measure it, because I haven’t got a clue) - ah, 42” - and I think I’ve switched it on twice in two months. It’s currently sitting there like a huge rectangular black hole while the Tannoys either side of it play me internet radio jazz.

matt j, docstocker, RJohan and 2 others like this.
  6. Bart

Bart pfm Member

I’m
    You also need a much louder one as you age, plus subtitles and headphones on occasion.

AnilS likes this.
  7. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

I am happy with my 26 inch Lowe.

martin dawson likes this.
  8. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

What is a 'TV' - and why might I want such a thing ?

Sean K and sideshowbob like this.
  9. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Part one I can answer, but part two is becoming harder and harder all the time. I suspect I won’t bother replacing my current one when it gives out.

matt j likes this.
  10. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

42” here. Inbuilt sound of flatscreens is shite. I keep it for when we take our first steps on Mars….

11. cpg

cpg pfm Member

With a good internet connection you can watch on youtube amazingly varied music videos of nearly all the musicians you wanted to see live, but never manged to go and see.
    ( using a TV as a TV is barely worth it)

12. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

They are so ugly when off. And the bigger the uglier. I'm surprised there are no roll-down, or pull-up, fabric coverings to conceal them. Remember the TVs built into a sideboard with doors? If you have a nice living room, nice carpets, furniture, paintings, it seems like a crime to put one of these things in it.

13. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

My 60" Aquos is less intrusive in the room than a 29" CRT I used to have, which was ridiculously deep

14. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

I bought a 24" thing last year, so that our daughter could watch films on a big screen (before that we just used an 18" computer monitor). It's in a large room, about 10 metres x 8 metres, and it still seems far too big to me. If your TV is bigger than your speakers you have a problem (luckily I have Tannoy Mansfields, so there's no danger of that).

15. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Good Morning All,

In the bad(?) old days wasn't the 'standard' formula something along the lines you needed to sit three times the diagonal dimension of the TV screen away from it. I don't know if with higher definition LCD type technology this factor varies?

A quick bit of maths gives 3 x 42" = 126" or 3.2mtrs away which would be OK in our living room. A 65" screen would give a figure of 4.95mtrs which is longer than our living room...................

Regards

Richard

16. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

The rollable TV is coming.

And you won't confuse it for the drinks cabinet when it's closed. :)

17. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

We sit about 2.5m from our ancient 1080p 55" Sony Bravia, which seems optimal according to this chart.

[​IMG]

4.95m is way too far to appreciate a 65" set with resolution higher than 720p.

18. Bart

Bart pfm Member

Reminds me of the old joke about all the Irish girls who came over to England looking for the 19 inch Murphy.

19. docstocker

docstocker pfm Member

32inch
    Goes in a cupboard so most of the time we can’t see it
    I only watch the cricket and Rugby

20. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

I can easily tell the difference between UHD, HD and 720p at 20 feet away. But then I still easily read two lines past 20:20 vision at my regular eye tests.

I think the THX recommendations make that chart look silly.

mjw likes this.