advertisement

SIT Power amplifier

russel

./_dazed_and_confused
I finally got round to finishing the Nelson Pass designed amplifier using SONY static induction transistors or power jfets. Rarer than very rare things , the 2SJ28, 2SK82 had a good reputation for sound quality, so had to be tried. Initial thoughts are it is very good, delivering a nice detailed punchy sound, maybe because it's got a low damping factor, about nine!, coz I am using it without feedback. In comparison with my previous best amplifier which is a home brew class A bipolar, the bipolar sounds a little more "hi-fi", i.e super accurate it will interesting to hear how the pass design sounds with extra feedback, supposed to sound more "neutral", so I guess it will narrow the difference between the two amplifiers.

Hmm, there's quite a lot to that. I do like the way NP sets up his kits so that you solder on the resistors forst and then carry out a series of tests to ensure they are all in place correctly, before adding other things. That's smart. It's still quite a complex affair though, well done on sorting it. I'm still wrestling with a JLH, havent tested it yet. If it works the Pass L'Amp appeals, it's sufficiently way-out to be interesting in its own right, assuming it can be made with non-unobtainium parts.

The electronics side isn't a problem, where gloom and foreboding take hold is metalwork, as you are finding. I do manage to cut down on this by keeping circuit boards standard sizes, so I can reuse boxes and power supplies, though more difficult with the pass design as I had no control over board size, it does have a PSU which is interchangeable with my own class A design though.

The electronics side isn't a problem, where gloom and foreboding take hold is metalwork, as you are finding. I do manage to cut down on this by keeping circuit boards standard sizes, so I can reuse boxes and power supplies, though more difficult with the pass design as I had no control over board size, it does have a PSU which is interchangeable with my own class A design though.

Oh yes indeedy!!! Never have truer words been spoken!

Southern Sweden, nearest airport is Copenhagen, so I guess not convenient to drop by for a listen.

advertisement

Back