advertisement

Sir Neville Marriner dies at 92

AllyD

ex audio room poster
He made me aware there was worthwhile music to listen to before the classical period.

Ally

He leaves a wonderful legacy, so many superb albums with Academy Of St Martins In The Field on Philips, Argo etc. Unquestionably one of the giants of recorded classical music. RIP.

I heard the news this afternoon. The ASMF recordings- and the excellent Philips sound - were part of my introduction to classical music.

Apparently he gave his final concert last Thursday.

Apparently he gave his final concert last Thursday.

That is really good to know that he was active and productive in the field he loved right to the end. Unquestionably the way to go.

PS Being a classical vinyl dealer I tend to lose touch with conductors output after about 1984!

Wonderful legacy and a very full life. This evening I have been playing his Barber of Seville and his Phillips Brandenburgs which stand up really well

is that the guy that the BBC news website titled its story as "famous conductor dies"? and no name - I didnt look further, If so, very strange way to herald that mans death a giant of his time?

The best concert I ever attended was Nev and the ASMF at Victoria Hall, Geneva in 1975 or 6. Truly extraordinary - when they did a quiet encore (part of Warlock's Capriol Suite), you could have heard a pin drop. Yet, at the end of it all, at the stage door, we met the most cheerful, unaffected people. This included Marriner himeslf, who stopped and chatted with us, before trotting across the road to join the ASMF in the pub!

Have many of his performances on Vinyl. Introduced me to a lot of music when I first began my classical journey. A wonderful contributor with a superb legacy.

Whether he had the best performance or not of any particular work, I've always liked Neville Marriner's performances as "safe" choices. I have so many of his recordings and while they're not always my first choice, I don't think there's one that I totally dislike. Some I love, but all others are at the least "safe" IMO.

I loved hearing Milos Forman tell the story of when he and Peter Schaffer asked Sir Neville to record/supervise the music for Amadeus and how Marriner told them he would agree to do it only under the condition that not a single one of Mozart's notes be changed. And Forman goes on to say they gave him their word. I love it! While I don't think Forman or Shaffer had any intentions of having any of Mozart's music changed in the first place, it was still great to hear that Sir Neville felt strongly enough about it and made it a condition before he would agree to get involved. Sir Neville showed that the money offered would not take priority over the integrity and respect he had for Mozart and his art. Anyhow I just love that story... someone from the classical music world dictating to the mighty Hollywood.

Nice tribute to him in this month's Diapason. I knew he was a prolific recorder but hadn't realized he had released more than 600 recordings.

advertisement

Back