advertisement

Sir David Barclay

eternumviti

Insufficient privileges to reply.
Or as the pfm political pack might put it, one down. Only an obviously fawning obit in the Telegraph, but an interesting life, whatever your political views. The boy(s) certainly done good.

I read the obit. It was certainly a bit rose tinted and barely hinted at some of the more controversial stuff - but nevertheless he was clearly very, very bright and came a very long way from a war time evacuee in Coventry.

I have been trying to find links to some of their unsavoury activities in Sark, but oddly, all the links I usually use are broken. I wonder why?
Plenty if you google Private Eye and Barclay bros and Sark

Or as the pfm political pack might put it, one down. Only an obviously fawning obit in the Telegraph, but an interesting life, whatever your political views. The boy(s) certainly done good.
What an odd sentence to start an obit thread on. It reads like you’re trying to pass off your own equivocation.

My sister has friends on Sark - Indeed she chose Sark as the location for her (second) marriage ceremony - and a mighty fine time the 30 or so of us had too. She has had plenty to say about the Sark situation to me.. 3rd hand as it were. But I am led to believe that things are less troublesome now. There was a point where the whole tourist trade was effectively going to die.

What an odd sentence to start an obit thread on. It reads like you’re trying to pass off your own equivocation.

What equivocation, and why? I posted especially for you, thought you'd be delighted. Didn't he own one of your favourite daily reads?

This did amuse me on the subject of the Barclays - you know how that Brexiteer obsession with WW2 is a cliche well......

"He told me he was talking a lot to Dacre about the issue, and alluded to meetings he’d been asked to attend with individuals such as Nigel Farage and Leave.EU luminaries. Boris Johnson interrupted one of our conversations with a telephone call. “Boris, I am in a meeting, I shall call you later,” I heard him say. When I gently pointed out to Barclay that there were clear advantages in the country remaining in the EU, he looked downcast. “I do hope you will give it a bit more thought,” he said simply.

Barclay had a love of old black-and-white war films, which he and his brother would play on their yacht, Lady Beatrice, to pass away the evenings with their guests. He’d often digress and ask whether I thought The Dam Busters was more of a classic than Reach for the Sky. His favourite was The Cruel Sea. He sometimes seemed a reluctant inhabitant of the modern world."

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...id-barclay-ghostwriter-telegraph-owner-brexit

I wonder how many people will be at the funeral. 20? Or will they just be the visible ones?

Given that our awful far-right press plays a significant role in our awful far-right politics it's hard to feel terribly sad, apart from at the most abstract human level.

I'll save my tears for the sanctioned benefits claimants who commit suicide, the immigrants drowned in the channel, and the children going hungry in one of the wealthiest nations in the world.

This did amuse me on the subject of the Barclays - you know how that Brexiteer obsession with WW2 is a cliche well......

"He told me he was talking a lot to Dacre about the issue, and alluded to meetings he’d been asked to attend with individuals such as Nigel Farage and Leave.EU luminaries. Boris Johnson interrupted one of our conversations with a telephone call. “Boris, I am in a meeting, I shall call you later,” I heard him say. When I gently pointed out to Barclay that there were clear advantages in the country remaining in the EU, he looked downcast. “I do hope you will give it a bit more thought,” he said simply.

Barclay had a love of old black-and-white war films, which he and his brother would play on their yacht, Lady Beatrice, to pass away the evenings with their guests. He’d often digress and ask whether I thought The Dam Busters was more of a classic than Reach for the Sky. His favourite was The Cruel Sea. He sometimes seemed a reluctant inhabitant of the modern world."

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...id-barclay-ghostwriter-telegraph-owner-brexit
And another interesting quote from the Guardian article:
He had in mind a ghosted volume of memoirs, whereas Victor and I had been hoping for cooperation with an independent book, or, at worst, an authorised biography. Even before we had resolved that issue, Barclay was sending me draft chapters written in the first person. He had also set his heart on serialisation not in the Telegraph but in the Daily Mail – edited by his “good friend” Paul Dacre – but a lot of what he had written would have been a bit much even for that newspaper.

advertisement

Back