advertisement

Single rail supply for NAC 42. Help needed

cartman

Taking a sabbatical
Hi, I'm wanting to power my 42 from a Sonic Bliss Teddycap clone. I've read about Dual Rail, but to be honest I prefer the 42 to 42.5 so I'd like initially to get the Sonic Bliss to supply the 42 as is (ie single rail). I've had a few 42 and 42.5 and I've not liked any of the latter, as much as the 42s. They seem almost identical apart from dual rail, so I figured I'd avoid it, but would still like to try the PSU I've got sitting idle.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to electronics, so please forgive me if the following is completely wrong:

Is it as simple as wiring a 5 pin socket instead of the 4 pin one on the 42, only leaving one pin unconnected? One of the Sonic bliss 24 volt feeds would then power the 42 whilst the other 24v pin would just remain unconnected inside the 42. Would this cause any harm to the Sonic Bliss?

Like I said, I've not a clue here, so any advice would be appreciated.

Yes, it is as simple as that. Replace the 4 pin with a 5 pin. I ran a v ery early (sn123) 42 exactly the same way for a while using a diy dual rail hi-cap clone with pre-regulators. I eventually dual railed the 42 having re-capped it, to good effect, although I chose a different combination of caps to those used by naim.

That's great thanks. Sometimes when you start from no knowledge at all, you doubt yourself on even the simplest things.

Very much appreciated :)

advertisement

Back