advertisement

Sinclair Hifi? I'd never heard of it.

I had a Sinclair 2000 integrated in the early '70s, fed by my SP25 deck, driving DIY speakers with Goodmans Axiom 201 drivers. The amp self-destructed after about 2 years, after which I bought a Sinclair Neoteric 60 integrated : http://diy.torrens.org/Electronics/Neoteric/index.html. I thought the design of this amp was FANTASTIC ! It was a poor man's Lecson http://lecsonaudio.com/?page_id=6 , in design, if not in sound.

I also loved the *appearance* of the Neoteric 60. But when I saw it at an audio show I was instantly struck by two thoughts.

1) Bej* ! It has even less in the way of heatsinks than the Armstrong 600 range. How on earth will it survive mere customers using it! 8-]

2) The 'matchstick' controls looked lovely when all aligned vertically. But in use might be all over the shop and look a mess.

I also loved the *appearance* of the Neoteric 60. But when I saw it at an audio show I was instantly struck by two thoughts.

Yes, it was a beautiful bit of design, almost Lescon in its ‘70s clean lines, but being a Sinclair I assume it was made appallingly badly! I’ve never seen one in the flesh so don’t quite understand how the switching works, are they ‘rocker’ switches, i.e. pivoted in the middle?

The switches on the left are depression on/off ones IIRC. The controls on the right (volume, etc) are rotary. So the visible 'sticks' end up at all angles when you alter the volume/balance/treble/bass. All from distant memory.

Look in the addresses (URLs) of the UKHHSoc webpages. :)

Richard provides the space and some services for the UKHHSoc. I do the fun job of collecting and putting up thousands of files. 8-]

I did; I then Googled R.T., and read quite a lot of his CV. If you see him/correspond with him, mention me. I wonder if he remembers those days when I lived in Downside Crescent and he moved into a flat in Herbert St (?). Think this must have been in late '63 or '64. He had a Morris Minor van. Guess our interests then (as now ) were in hifi and somewhere, I've still got one of his letter-heads with which we used to access wholesalers.

The switches on the left are depression on/off ones IIRC. The controls on the right (volume, etc) are rotary. So the visible 'sticks' end up at all angles when you alter the volume/balance/treble/bass. All from distant memory.

Correct... except I kept them all vertical - apart from the volume control- precisely for that reason !

I called the amp the Sinclair Neurotic after my experiences... whatever did I do with my 2000 .... I think Laskys took it back after repairing it and gave a credit note... in all conscience i couldnt have sold it except to a geek ... who all had The sleek Cambridge amps ... P50's I think, which the 2000 range emulated in looks

I thought that was not a bad price at all for an incredibly powerful machine.

On the subject of TI, I never saw a RPN TI calculator, so I am curious about that. A quick scan round the net did not turn up anything concrete as an actual model that was sold.

Currently have a System 4000 amp and tuner in my office system -- listening to Radio Paradise via it as I type -- bought in 1971 from Comet I think and used in my student days right though to the 80s when replaced by a NAD 3020 -- dragged out of the loft couple of years ago and amazingly it (touch wood) still works -- would post a picture if I knew how to -- last one in captivity?
Steve

advertisement

Back