advertisement

"Simplest" network for SBTouch

Spiderous

pfm Member
Hello,
I understand that for the SBtouch to work wirelessly a "machine" somewhere on the network needs to be running SB server / Logitech media server. My issue is I only currently have a laptop that I wouldn't want to have to fire up everytime I wanted to stream my files (currently on an externall HDD). If I was going to do that I might just as well buy a usb dac).

Does anyone have experience of running SB server via a NAS, and if yes how easy is it to set up / maintain? Would something like this fit the bill? http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Multimedia...LO-LS-WX2.0TL-R1-Multimedia-Hard-Drive/691135 or do I need some sort of actual server?

Alternatively, how about using an old mini pc or mac mini headlessly?

Ian

Can't see that link, but the short answer is that as long as the NAS can run SB server, then your Touch will pick up files from it without having a PC in the chain. As a stop-gap at the moment (long story) I'm using a cheap Zyxel NSA210 which is the cheapest one I could find on ebay. It works fine serving flac files to my Squeezebox Duet.

You may want to consider using an NAS that has 2 drives installed so that you can use RAID to make sure you always have a backup...

I use a qnap NAS which will runs the SB server, it is Linux based apparently and I managed to install SB software and get it all working reliably, I am NO techie. Some NAS's come with SB server already installed.
When I chose my NAS I was told to get a 'fast' (more expensive) one as the waiting time to move through music files can be irritating, I am informed.
I would recommend getting a NAS you are quite correct the SB will automatically pick up the NAS on your wifi and you can listen to music. Jobs a gooden'

You may want to consider using an NAS that has 2 drives installed so that you can use RAID to make sure you always have a backup...
It must be said, though, that a RAID is never a backup solution. Its purpose is to ensure continous operation when one of the discs breaks down, or faster data access in case of RAID 5 or 6.

Agreed, when one disc fails, you might find the data on the other disc, but that's far from certain - these days, at work one guy is trying to restore data from such a 'backup' disk but he's losing hope (and it's on Linux). On top of that, if you delete files you shouldn't, there's no chance to restore them on the mirrored disk.

Both these problems can simply be avoided with an external USB disk, backed up by hand every week (provided you do it).

It must be said, though, that a RAID is never a backup solution. Its purpose is to ensure continous operation when one of the discs breaks down, or faster data access in case of RAID 5 or 6.

Agreed, when one disc fails, you might find the data on the other disc, but that's far from certain - these days, at work one guy is trying to restore data from such a 'backup' disk but he's losing hope (and it's on Linux). On top of that, if you delete files you shouldn't, there's no chance to restore them on the mirrored disk.

Both these problems can simply be avoided with an external USB disk, backed up by hand every week (provided you do it).

i've had raid arrays and when i was thick i had a raid system array. I buggered up the system disc and the system just copied the error to the backup.........use a usb drive as suggested.

advertisement

Back