advertisement

Simple high quality digital camera?

PaulMB

pfm Member
I've always used film cameras and will continue to do so. But I would also like something digital for occasional use.
My question is: Is there a digital camera that is all manual, as simple as possible, but good quality and good lens? Does not have to be cheap.
My wife's Nikon Coolpix has lots of buttons and switches, "menus" of various kinds, and a 150 page manual! I hate it and it won't do what I want, most of the time.
So is there the equivalent of a Leica M2 with simply a digital sensor instead of film? Manual focus, manual exposure, just "RAW" or "Jpeg" format and nothing else?
If nothing of the sort exists, just tell me.
Thanks!

I was hoping for that when I got a Nikon One V1. It had several features that drew me in - simple to operate, interchangeable lenses and, most importantly, an eye-level viewfinder.

But it's crap. Image quality is only so-so, and the main lens lacks macro capability.

I'd still like a similar camera, but not crappy.

A digital leica M2 is basically one of the digital Ms and they are NOT cheap. Have a look at the fuji x-pro series or x-100 for something cheaper and fixed lens. I went from an M4 to a fusion x-pro2 and the experience is not the same at all but I like the camera and way it shoots never the less.

I was hoping for that when I got a Nikon One V1. It had several features that drew me in - simple to operate, interchangeable lenses and, most importantly, an eye-level viewfinder.

But it's crap. Image quality is only so-so, and the main lens lacks macro capability.

I'd still like a similar camera, but not crappy.
I used mine a lot with a fixed focal length lens. Loved it. Silent. Great VF. Resolution perfectly adequate for printing to frame. I am actually thinking of selling my Fuji X100 and going back to it. Most of the shots I took around NYC were with the V1, e.g.

I used mine a lot with a fixed focal length lens. Loved it. Silent. Great VF. Resolution perfectly adequate for printing to frame. I am actually thinking of selling my Fuji X100 and going back to it. Most of the shots I took around NYC were with the V1, e.g.

Nice work!

I only have two zooms, the kit 10-30 and a 30-110. I guess the fixed lenses are much better? Which ones did you have.

I've only used my "images" for forum illustrations, and notice that they're never even as sharp as phone camera shots from other people.

I also find the autofocus slow and inaccurate, at least at indoor distances.

I suppose I should just accept that I'm a crap photographer.

@PaulMB I looked for something similar, a very simple quality digital camera. I think the argument is that once you have a body, lens and sensor then the rest - all the 4K burst, video, etc etc - is just software, relatively cheap to add and looks good on the spec sheet. I ended up with a Lumix LX100mk2, which is great but also has a 150 page manual.
My first proper camera was a Canon AE1 in about 1980. One of those with a sensor would be ideal!
Edit: A good phone might be the answer.

Nice work!

I only have two zooms, the kit 10-30 and a 30-110. I guess the fixed lenses are much better? Which ones did you have.
Thanks! The 18.5mm f1.8 (50mm equivalent on 35mm camera. Super fast focus, always sharp. Nice and small. If you still have a v1 worth hunting for one.

I've always used film cameras and will continue to do so. But I would also like something digital for occasional use.
My question is: Is there a digital camera that is all manual, as simple as possible, but good quality and good lens? Does not have to be cheap.
My wife's Nikon Coolpix has lots of buttons and switches, "menus" of various kinds, and a 150 page manual! I hate it and it won't do what I want, most of the time.
So is there the equivalent of a Leica M2 with simply a digital sensor instead of film? Manual focus, manual exposure, just "RAW" or "Jpeg" format and nothing else?
If nothing of the sort exists, just tell me.
Thanks!

I don't think it really exists. Closest you might get is the Fuji X-100, it has aperture ring round the lens, shutter speed dial on top plate, and you can set it to manual focus with a sliding switch on the side. Can't remember how easy it is to set ISO manually though. I'm not sold on the viewfinder on the X100, wouldn't like to manual focus through it unless they've made big improvements to it since the X100S from 2013. But autofocus is actually very good, its kind of the norm nowadays!

Lovely images Dan

Fuji X-pro (and I believe x100) you have manual aperture ring on the lens and a focus by wire ring, the body has a very analogue shutter speed dial, which you lift and rotate for ISO. So you can operate everything without delving into the menus (of which there are plenty). The viewfinder is optical with an overlaid frame Brightlines, or you can have it as a full EVF, both have their pros and cons. AF is quite satisfactory and the lenses are very good for the money IMHO

Thanks! The 18.5mm f1.8 (50mm equivalent on 35mm camera. Super fast focus, always sharp. Nice and small. If you still have a v1 worth hunting for one.

There was one in black left in stock at the Nikon Store on Amazon US, so I snagged it. The advertised 8.4 inch close focus distance sold me.

White ones are a dime a dozen, it would appear. :)

There was one in black left in stock at the Nikon Store on Amazon US, so I snagged it. The advertised 8.4 inch close focus distance sold me.

White ones are a dime a dozen, it would appear. :)
Excellent! Hope it works much better for you than the kit one. Please report back! What are they going for?

Paul.
If you like the way a Leica M2 handles, then a digital M is probably the best choice accepting that it won't be cheap. I have a M2 and a M6TTL, as well as digital M9 (with a replacement CCD sensor) and a M10. 90% of all my shots are taken with a 35 mm lens (a 1980s vintage 35/1.4 Summilux). All of them are small enough to go in a large jacket pocket and currently my M10 goes everywhere with me.
The handling of a M9 or M10 is pretty much the same as my M2. You just don't need to wind the film crank. Build quality is typically Leica. The earlier CCD sensors (M8/M9) had problems with the cover glass, but the more modern CMOS sensor cameras (M240, M10, M10-R) all appear to be free of sensor glitches so far. If you're into mono only, then a Monochrome version is available (for each of the various iterations - M9, M240 and M10).
Pretty much every Leica lens made will fit and work on a modern digital M - screw mount L39 (with an adapter), M lens or R series (again with and adapter) will all work on a M digital. The shot below was taken with my M10 and 1980s 35 /1.4 summilux.
Finally, all of the digital Leica cameras use the universal Adobe DNG RAW file format opposed to a proprietary RAW format such as Nikon NEF.
Good luck in your quest
Charlie
ODTqmM.jpg

Excellent! Hope it works much better for you than the kit one. Please report back! What are they going for?

It was $120 new. I'm sure I could have found it cheaper, or used, but with the "only one left" I chose to be done with it and not chase a bargain.

It's a discontinued line and I was surprised the Nikon Store had anything for Nikon One still in stock.

Thanks, everyone. Sounds like the FX-100 might be OK. I'll go into a shop and look at one.The Leica too, probably, but it seems too expensive and too noticeable, like driving a Bentley.

I like my Canon 100D although I use my phone 99.9% of the time these days. It has a manual mode. You can set the lens to MF and control aperture & shutter speed with a couple of buttons. Otherwise you can use aperture or shutter priority and use exposure compensation. Again, fairly straightforward. IMO ergos are good.

In relation to film cameras its operation is similar to the Canon A-1 & especially the T90 if you’re familiar with them.

Raw or jpeg only, your choice.

The 24mm STM, equivalent to 38mm full frame, is a pretty good & affordable lens.

PS I’m a firm believer that picture quality is only as good as your eye!

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone. Sounds like the FX-100 might be OK. I'll go into a shop and look at one.The Leica too, probably, but it seems too expensive and too noticeable, like driving a Bentley.

Digital Leica’s are a completely ridiculous price, but the latest models are quite discreet (no obvious branding or red dot). This one would be my pick if my Euromillions numbers come up:
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/leica-m10-monochrom-digital-camera-body-1768231/

I had an M9 for a while but ended up selling it because I didn’t feel comfortable walking around with such an expensive object around my neck. I still have an M6 and M3 which were bought when used prices were sensible.

To be honest, a Leica is much more discrete than a Bentley. If you don't like the Red Dot branding, you can cover that up with a piece of black gaffer tape. But a Leica or other small rangefinder cameras (eg old Contax, Zeiss, Voigtlander) are the epitome of the stealth camera - small, unobtrusive, quiet and definitely not flash. You can even put it into your jacket pocket. The complete opposite of a SLR or larger modern mirrorless camera with large lenses.
I accept that Leica prices are steep, very steep. But if you are an old film camera user, you could pick up a M10 and use it without even looking at a manual. You have a shutter speed dial, a film speed/ISO dial, manual focusing and an old fashioned aperture ring on the lens. You don't have to reach for the manual to look at the menus to change the ISO or change the shutter speed/aperture. Everything falls into place, just as you'd expect it to.
My suggestion would be an used M10 - great image quality, quiet (virtually silent shutter - pretty much as quiet as the M2 and M6) with a small 35 mm lens (vintage Leica or new Voigtlander 35/1.4 Classic). If you already have a M2, you could just use your existing Leica lenses.

advertisement

Back