advertisement

Silver Wire Interconnects

Just a thought : if you buy 10meter pair and 20 wbt connectors , chop it up and make 20 .05 meters and sell them at 20% deduction , you will make about £1000.

This not uncommon pricing structure [ popular lengths being more expensive per meter] always struck me as odd .

Good luck with that!

Supply and demand is not odd.

Its not supply and demand , this law* would dictate popular lengths decrease in price !!!!!!!!

there are of course those who sell cable at the same price per meter irrespective of length .

* laws in economics are of course bullshit .

Just checking Mark Grant's prices, he charges a consistent £70 for each additional 0.5 m or £35 for each additional 0.25 m.

Why does the first 0.5 m cost £280?

Because the plugs alone cost £44 each.

280 - (44 × 4) = 104.

104 - 70 = 34.

Mark is charging 34 quid for his time to assemble and solder.

Wow! [Sarcastic smiley]

PS: Maths does not appear to be Gerald 's strong point .

Just checking Mark Grant's prices, he charges a consistent £70 for each additional 0.5 m or £35 for each additional 0.25 m.

Why does the first 0.5 m cost £280?

Because the plugs alone cost £44 each.

280 - (44 × 4) = 104.

104 - 70 = 34.

Mark is charging 34 quid for his time to assemble and solder.

Wow! [Sarcastic smiley]

PS: Maths does not appear to be Gerald 's strong point .

1O meter pair - £1600 -
36 wbts - £1500 - [probably less for bulk order ]

total price = £3100

20 interconnects at £280 = £5600.

maths indeed is not my strong point , hope you take more care with your fares .

1O meter pair - £1600 -
36 wbts - £1500 - [probably less for bulk order ]

total price = £3100

20 interconnects at £280 = £5600.

maths indeed is not my strong point , hope you take more care with your fares .

I do the fare table calculations for our licensing authority.

Each interconnect pair requires 4 WBTs. So 20 pairs require 80 WBTs. That's £3520.

I do the fare table calculations for our licensing authority.

Each interconnect pair requires 4 WBTs. So 20 pairs require 80 WBTs. That's £3520.

oops , :eek: yep . you'd make about £800 quid not a £1000 if you paid rrp for everthing. . Im sure you could negotiate a discount on 80 wbts , which would make my original post of making £1000 valid .

oops , :eek: yep . you'd make about £800 quid not a £1000 if you paid rrp for everthing. . Im sure you could negotiate a discount on 80 wbts , which would make my original post of making £1000 valid .

You are still struggling with the maths.

3520 + 1600 = 5120.

Take off 172 for the 4 connectors on the 10 m length interconnect and you still have £4944.

5600 - 4944 = 656.

656 ÷ 19 interconnects (take off 1 for the 10 m pair) and you are left eith just over £34.50 each.

IMO this is not an excessive charge for labour + solder.

£700 on an interconnect! Make your own from pure Silver/ double shielded Sharkwire from Maplin. I guarantee they sound as natural and revealing as anything out there as long as your soldering/DIY skills are good. It's the biggest con in the Hi Fi industry. I could buy some amazing components with £700 that would reap far greater rewards than any cable!

£700 on an interconnect! Make your own from pure Silver/ double shielded Sharkwire from Maplin. I guarantee they sound as natural and revealing as anything out there as long as your soldering/DIY skills are good. It's the biggest con in the Hi Fi industry. I could buy some amazing components with £700 that would reap far greater rewards than any cable!

Someone else is plucking figures from the air.

A typical 1 m length of the cables I mention costs £350 per pair including silver connectors, solder and labour.

Didn't think Maplin still stocked the silver Sharkwire, used to use it many years ago. An excellent cable. By the by the AQ Gibraltars arrived and are currently biasing up or whatever it is called, so far sound excellent.

You are still struggling with the maths.

3520 + 1600 = 5120.

Take off 172 for the 4 connectors on the 10 m length interconnect and you still have £4944.

5600 - 4944 = 656.

656 ÷ 19 interconnects (take off 1 for the 10 m pair) and you are left eith just over £34.50 each.

IMO this is not an excessive charge for labour + solder.

You can make all the mathematical machinations you wish the fact is the price per meter of cable for a 0.5 is 100% more than the price per meter of cable of a 10m meter pair and I am absolutely certain this is not how the raw cable is priced .

You can make all the mathematical machinations you wish the fact is the price per meter of cable for a 0.5 is 100% more than the price per meter of cable of a 10m meter pair and I am absolutely certain this is not how the raw cable is priced .

Because the cost of the plugs and labour are a bigger proportion of the overall cost with the 0.5 m interconnects than with the 10 m ones.

The cable itself is priced at £140 per metre, £70 per half metre, £35 per quarter metre.

£34 labour and solder
£176 for 4 WBTs
£70 for each 0.5 m of cable.

The pricing structure could not be more transparent.

Now stop digging!

Because the cost of the plugs and labour are a bigger proportion of the overall cost with the 0.5 m interconnects than with the 10 m ones.

The cable itself is priced at £140 per metre, £70 per half metre, £35 per quarter metre.

£34 labour and solder
£176 for 4 WBTs
£70 for each 0.5 m of cable.

The pricing structure could not be more transparent.

Now stop digging!

You tell him Steven

Milord, I have a pair of Silver High Breed "Avatar" cables, which I no longer need. They're silver-plated copper, but if you'd like to try them let me know. They are thick, though, which could be a problem.

Milord, I have a pair of Silver High Breed "Avatar" cables, which I no longer need. They're silver-plated copper, but if you'd like to try them let me know. They are thick, though, which could be a problem.

Hi

Thanks for the offer mate but I already have a pair of these which i no longer use, just keep them as a back up or from time to time I connect my DVD player up using them.

In all honesty Im pretty sure Im going to get my a pair of Yannis Tome's Interconnects, they look well made, Ive dropped him a mail with a few questions on which pair to buy from the Gaia range

Many thanks

Lee

advertisement

Back