advertisement

Silver Foil Speaker Cables anyone?

How do you make the braid stay flat? Do you heat it and press it?
Hi awkward - I used 40mm braid (refers to how it fits round cable) , which expands (and loses about 20% of its length as a result) and gives a decent fit on a flat 70mm foil - i heated the ends so they did not fray. but further action was not needed as I threaded it over the copper foil- it gets delivered flat, so kinda wants to stay in that shape, i guess

OK, thanks. BTW, I was trying to re-terminate some cables (for someone else), and they had used hot glue to keep the ends of the braid in position and also not fray, before adding heatshrink. I will be trying that next time I make up some cables.

Wonder what the capacitance is on those? Very neat job.
i have not measured it, but will be very high - these are designed for use as low-inductance for amps that can manage high capacitance without oscillation - Naim users please look away now....

thanks for the "neat" comment. I will admit that it took me a while to find a way to make 70mm foil mate with 4mm round bananas - I did see the option from hi-fi collective which has some similarity to mine, but having the option of designing and printing my own connectors allowed me to make a better finish, and now I know it works I am looking at ways of making it a little neater still, or at least spend more time in CAD to chamfer the sides etc. and also more printing time to improve the finish quality

made some cosmetic and functional updates:

if you were wondering why they are blue/white and not red/black, its because they are the connectors from the speaker to my external x-overs, not from the amp - other cables will have other colours (red-black and green/yellow)

Last edited:

advertisement

Back