advertisement

Silver cable

winkywoo

pfm Member
I would like to try and make my own silver power cables to replace the stock cables that I have. I'm reluctant to fork out a lot of money for what is already on the market because it looks pretty straight forward to make my own. The only problem is, I'm not really in the loop with regards to which cables are considered good, what type of cables are available, does the cable need to be shielded, where to buy connectors etc. I would appreciate your guidance please!

I would like to try and make my own silver power cables to replace the stock cables that I have. I'm reluctant to fork out a lot of money for what is already on the market because it looks pretty straight forward to make my own. The only problem is, I'm not really in the loop with regards to which cables are considered good, what type of cables are available, does the cable need to be shielded, where to buy connectors etc. I would appreciate your guidance please!

Well, if you knew which cables to buy, what type of cables are available, does the cable need to be shielded, where to buy connectors etc, it would be pretty straightforward!

before CE compliance however, every man in every home in the UK knew how to wire up a plug, and amazingly few homes burnt down. Wiring a plug is not a difficult thing to do unless you really don't know which colour goes where, and what fuse rating is correct? Having said that I have NO idea where to buy silver cable of the right rating. People use copper because it's cheaper and a better conductor I think.
I have used MCRU in the past...solid stuff, but I can't see KIT silver cble: https://mcru.co.uk/product-category/mains-products/diy-mains-lead-sets/?v=79cba1185463

before CE compliance however, every man in every home in the UK knew how to wire up a plug, and amazingly few homes burnt down. Wiring a plug is not a difficult thing to do unless you really don't know which colour goes where, and what fuse rating is correct? Having said that I have NO idea where to buy silver cable of the right rating. People use copper because it's cheaper and a better conductor I think.
It a very slightly worse conductor, but not so that it matters since the equivalent gauge of copper is still cheaper.

A friend as an experiment bought some high quality (not audiophile) cables, expensive IEC plugs, and good 13 amp plugs. He eventually found a combination that to his and my ears sounded usefully better than stock cables, for a fraction of the price of audiophool cables.

Nic P

Thanks for all the replies. I would also like to have a 6mm2 radial in silver cable running back to my consumer unit to power all of the sockets. Are there any concerns that I should take into consideration before doing this?

before CE compliance however, every man in every home in the UK knew how to wire up a plug, and amazingly few homes burnt down. Wiring a plug is not a difficult thing to do unless you really don't know which colour goes where, and what fuse rating is correct? https://mcru.co.uk/product-category/mains-products/diy-mains-lead-sets/?v=79cba1185463
Not wishing to be argumentative, but having done many hundeds, I think wiring 13amp plugs correctly is quite difficult, for example; in terms of keeping each conductor the optimal length to ensure they would detatch in the correct sequence if the cable grip failed.

I would like to try and make my own silver power cables to replace the stock cables that I have. I'm reluctant to fork out a lot of money for what is already on the market because it looks pretty straight forward to make my own. The only problem is, I'm not ireally in the loop with regards to which cables are considered good, what type of cables are available, does the cable need to be shielded, where to buy connectors etc. I would appreciate your guidance please!
Why? What if anything do you think will happen? Is it total unexpectant curiosity

Why? What if anything do you think will happen? Is it total unexpectant curiosity
I'd like to find out whether it could possibly be an improvement over copper. If it's affordable to buy I'd like to have a go and report my findings here.

Not wishing to be argumentative, but having done many hundeds, I think wiring 13amp plugs correctly is quite difficult, for example; in terms of keeping each conductor the optimal length to ensure they would detatch in the correct sequence if the cable grip failed.

With all due respect it's not that difficult to wire up a plug.

Are you looking for solid silver or silver plated copper? If you consider the latter I would suggest Viablue X25 or X40. I use them with Furutech mains plug and Iego iec with very good result. The Viablue is also double shielded and the only downside is they’re not very flexible.

Are you looking for solid silver or silver plated copper? If you consider the latter I would suggest Viablue X25 or X40. I use them with Furutech mains plug and Iego iec with very good result. The Viablue is also double shielded and the only downside is they’re not very flexible.

Thanks, I have Furutech mains but I'm looking for pure silver.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I would also like to have a 6mm2 radial in silver cable running back to my consumer unit to power all of the sockets. Are there any concerns that I should take into consideration before doing this?
Get an electrician to do anything like that. I'm not aware that anyone makes 6mm2 silver twin and earth but ask the electrician. (That's a lot of silver, incidentally). The electrician is going to look at you in a funny way: be prepared for this.

Silver back to the consumer unit. What a waste of time and money and effort. If its not, why not wire silver all the way back to the distribution transformer down the street?

No problem winkywoo! All mains cables sound exactly the same as all others, at all times and under all conditions and always have and always will.
There you go, apart from helping to prevent your house burning down I've saved you a fortune:D

Any electrician should refuse to either install or sign off any cable installation where the cable used doesn't comply with BS EN 50525, so good luck with that one. Electrical safety standards exits for very many good reasons, you ignore them at your own risk.

advertisement

Back