advertisement

siltech cables

gwernaffield

pfm Member
Hi has any one Listened to these or own them Slitech classic anniversary 550i interconnects RCA_RCA just need advice as they seem to cost in £1000+

I’ve heard plenty of difference with interconnects but, although I am familiar with Siltech as a brand, I’ve never knowingly heard any.

Siltech have been around for a long time and were one of the first to champion all silver wiring. There are now hundreds of similar products and UK representation is patchy.

Cables (expensive ones in particular) are very fashion orientated (flavour of the month) and Siltech are not currently ‘en vogue’. It doesn’t mean they aren’t good though (or average or rubbish).

In my experience some cables make some difference. A friend tried some Siltech but we couldn't hear any real difference.

Most people know I’m something of a cable agnostic, but I have to say I reviewed the Classic Anniversary 550is a few years back and they are the only interconnect I have ever played with that really made me go “Wow!”, and think there just might possibly be something in this whole cable malarkey after all.

They were beautifully made, smelled fabulous (!) and sounded superb - noticeably superb.

I would never dream of paying £1000 for an interconnect, but if someone gave me a non-transferable ‘interconnect voucher to the value of £1000’ I know exactly what I’d trade it in for...

Not interconnects, but I swapped for one of their AES Classic Anniversary digital cables not too long ago & was actually quite surprised with the changes. I was using a small local companies AES cable, they sell direct, cables are made of good quality components (silver OCC conductor, Teflon dielectric, etc) & their cable retails for close to a 1/3 of the Siltech MSRP (though my local dealer offers great discounts on Siltech). Being that the previous cables was made of what most would consider top notch materials & being sold closer to direct to the customer without all the other markups, I honestly wasn't sure if the Siltech would be any better. To these ears, it was an easily noticeable change, for the better. I think what they are known for is smooth, refined high's that still bring out excellent detail retrieval (likely to do with their lack of noise/black backgrounds). I also felt they added another layer of realism to the sound (instruments sounding more life like). As far as bass was concerned, I can't say that I noticed much difference between the two (excellent with both cables). More recently I added a TeddyCAP+ to my Naim 282 pre, for the second power supply upgrade (already was using HiCAP DR on first input) & honestly I thought the Siltech cable made a bigger change/improvement then the power supply. Being a mostly Naim guy, I don't have much non Naim cables to upgrade but after this experience, I will likely trial one of their Classic Anniversary power cables on my DAC to see if its worth the cost. I'm currently running DIY power cords on my non Naim gear (made with high end Neotech & Furutech components), which weren't cheap to make as far as DIY goes, but were far superior to the name brand cords they replaced (Audioquest & PS Audio), so am curious what the results would be.

As a side note, I would always recommend upgrading any weak link component in your system first & expensive cables as a last final tweak when you are happy with your setup & don't plan to change for sometime.

I don't have experience with the 550i, but I do have the 330i. Unfortunately no listening impressions yet as they don't fit in the casing holes of my Hugo2, lol.
But like mentioned before the build quality is amazing and the connectors are beautiful looking too.

Most people know I’m something of a cable agnostic, but I have to say I reviewed the Classic Anniversary 550is a few years back and they are the only interconnect I have ever played with that really made me go “Wow!”, and think there just might possibly be something in this whole cable malarkey after all.

They were beautifully made, smelled fabulous (!) and sounded superb - noticeably superb.

I would never dream of paying £1000 for an interconnect, but if someone gave me a non-transferable ‘interconnect voucher to the value of £1000’ I know exactly what I’d trade it in for...

I commend you on using a thoroughly holistic approach to your reviewing.

Maybe you should ask P. Miller to include odour measurements....

And record his response. rofl

I like Siltech, finding them very coherent, which is to say they seem to preserve the timing relationships between bass, midrange and treble, so overall musical timing is presented convincingly. They do this better than many of the high end brands, IMHO.

Nicely put together too, with very good connectors.

I've not listened to that particular interconnect, but did pick up a pair of old Siltech xlr interconnects just to try.
They sound very different to any other interconnect I've owned in the lower frequencies, sometimes in s good way, sometimes not. Nice sounding but not £1000 good.
They use Silver and Gold for their cables.

Hi there

I used a slew of G3 Siltech cables in my system and they were the best I could afford at the time - and they were very very good

Then moved up to much more expensive Spectral cabling which are not as coherent but present music in a way that suits me

the current vogue at the shop is audiomica which plays Siltech at its own strengths and beats them handily

My reckoning is I wold prefer any audiomica cable to any Siltech at twice the price point

but it's your ears, priorities, system and budget that matters

any decent dealer would let you try them in your system for a few days (the better ones would insist that you did) to see how you get on with them

using advice available around here to guide your decision when spending that sort of money is not sensible

Dave

OK it was a bit obtuse but seriously I've never heard any difference with interconnects.

Keep them only as short as they need to be, use good quality RCA connectors and cable and that should be all you need.

I use Mogami interconnects that I got made to order for around £20 a pair

“So, folks, I’m thinking of buying a BMW 7 series, any experiences?”

“Yeah, buy a Mondeo. Still does 70 on the motorway and room for 5.”

OK it was a bit obtuse but seriously I've never heard any difference with interconnects.

Keep them only as short as they need to be, use good quality RCA connectors and cable and that should be all you need.

I use Mogami interconnects that I got made to order for around £20 a pair.

https://www.proaudiola.com/product-p/1-m2549-rca-rca-1.htm

I have heard massive differences. Will A/B some of them that I have floating about and invite some people over if I can replicate my earlier experiences of big differences. If not I'll stay quiet and cry about how much I spent :)

Make sure you compare unsighted, you might find ( almost certainly will find) that those massive differences completely disappear.
Keith

Peter, if you’re after a cleaner, less flabby sound I could sell you back those Vovox (having settled on Linn Silvers), and for a lot less than £1000. I rated them up there with the Atratus 3 but both were edged from top place by the refinement of the Silvers (in my system - which must be broken because I heard a difference etc etc - heard it all in other threads).

advertisement

Back