advertisement

SILMIC 2 use with ALW super regs

AR_sound

Trade: AR Sound.
Hi,

Does anyone tried the ELNA silmic in the ALW super regs?

I remember that Andy recommends now the ELNA STARGET for the regs,

But I have some SILMICS, Are they better or maybe "too polite" as decoupling cap in such application?,

If silmics are good for the s-r, I guess C3 can be 10uF silmic, insted of the 22uF rubycon ZA?

Thanks,

Avi.

Thanks Andy,

Is it useful to change the 22uF ZA to 10 uF SILMIC?

"I have been using Silmics for units I build for others"

Is it means the difference between SILMIC and STARGET is subtle in the S-R,

Or that you builds better for others? ;)

Avi.

Is it useful to change the 22uF ZA to 10 uF SILMIC? "I have been using Silmics for units I build for others" Is it means the difference between SILMIC and STARGET is subtle in the S-R, Or that you builds better for others?

Try a 10u Silmic in C3 AND C5, that should work well. I usually leave out C5 and fit C3 = 22u mostly.

I tend to build the best I can for the ones I build for others, so often use the best components I have available, but it's not night and day stuff in most locations, except for C4, which is pretty critical*.

Andy.

Edit: ...and C7, which for analogue supplies is best removed completely.

Just picked up this thread... wondered how you got on with silmics for C3? I ask because my offboard cd3.5 analog psu has 2 SRs, each with a 10uf tant for C3 (yuk, shock horror).

I'm wondering what to use instead. Things in the bits box include:

3x 10uf/50v silmic 2
1x 22uf/35v rubycon za
1x 47uf/35v rubycon za
4x 100uf/35v rubycon za
4x 100uf/25v rubycon za
8x 56uf/25v oscon sp
4x 47uf/40v maroon
lots of tants

Any ideas? I'm toying with the idea of just popping 10uf silmics into C5 for an easy life!

Hi hacker,

10uF Silmics work fine for me in C3 and C5 positions, as Andy recommended.
In some cases I prefers to take out the C5, But mostly I find it better to leave C5 in place (small cap ~10uF).

The S-R prefers higher ESR caps in C3 and C5 positions, and the ZA (and oscon) are low ESR caps- silmics Or even good tants (best tants are military grade), seems to do the work fine.

Cheers,

Avi.

Avi, I have found the silmics possibly too polite also.. When you say it better to have C5 & C3, rather than C3 only can you elaborate in terms of the differing sound result? cheers, capt

Hi Captain,

In most cases, it's better to have C5 in case you have small C3 (10uF silmic), If you have 22uF for C3, it may be better to skip C5.

With C5 the bass is more 'solid', But without C5, S-R tends to sound more agile (it may be the coloration of the C5 silmic).

I have not tried OS-Con + series 0.3-0.5 Ohm resistor in C5/C3 - It could work well, you can have a try..

Avi.

Cheers Avi, I may try and add a p'sonic 10uf at C5 to the 22 C3 then- (I notced the sound was a tad thin- this may add a tad of general weight (I also bodged the C1 silmic in C4 za 47uf's in each others place wrongly now reading your thread..ESR etc..hope this isn't harmful until I rebodge!)

Anyone got good results with differing cap combinations for these fine srs?
capt

advertisement

Back