advertisement

Silliest French word I learnt so far

What I'm about to say may be nonsense, but someone once said to me that the expression espèce de . . . is particularly offensive. The idea was that to say that someone is a con or even a connard is one thing , but it's much much worse to say espèce de con, espèce de connard.

I have a friend who told me that his Father sent him to a private school just because one day he came home from his state school and used the word con -- this was before the war (he's nearly 90 now.) I think times have changed.

Con a hard concept for me because it's linked to expressions which seem completely inoffensive - connerie, à la con . . .

Similarly for cul -- I've never known how offensive that word is, but it seems to figure in some completely inoffensive expressions -- cul sec, cul de poule . . .

Here's a serious question for the real Frenchies.

Why do you say

Il n'y a pas de sots métiers, il n'y a que de sottes gens.

And also say

La Ballade des gens heureux

I mean, is it feminine in the plural or not!? Or does it have something to do with whether the adjective is before or after the noun?
Just checked the trusty old Robert. The rule is “gens” requires the masculine except when preceded by an adjective that has different masculine and feminine forms. Bonnes gens, vieilles gens, etc. but gens heureux.

(Sounds like a grammarian’s desperate attempt to rationalize the messy reality of usage)

I unconditionally guarantee that less than 1% of the French pop. knows this rule.

What I'm about to say may be nonsense, but someone once said to me that the expression espèce de . . . is particularly offensive. The idea was that to say that someone is a con or even a connard is one thing , but it's much much worse to say espèce de con, espèce de connard.

I have a friend who told me that his Father sent him to a private school just because one day he came home from his state school and used the word con -- this was before the war (he's nearly 90 now.) I think times have changed.

Con a hard concept for me because it's linked to expressions which seem completely inoffensive - connerie, à la con . . .

Similarly for cul -- I've never known how offensive that word is, but it seems to figure in some completely inoffensive expressions -- cul sec, cul de poule . . .
Cul de l'uterus I learnt recently mdr.

C’est un peu cucul (la praline) is excellent and always amuses me.
Cette histoire est un peu cucul la praline: it’s a bit silly and childish, pathetic even, with a ridiculous outcome.
Un cul de bouteille is a very poor camera lens.
Un cul-de-sac, a dead-end, or a close.
Cul sec, bottoms up.

Cul is a great word :p

I always understood that "espece de" was an intensifier, like we use the f word. I can call someone an arsehole, or I can call him a f*ing arsehole.
The favourite intensifier words in French are to k tack on "de merde" or " de ta mère" etc. after the insult word, be it connard, branleur, trouduc' or whatever.

I always understood that "espece de" was an intensifier, like we use the f word. I can call someone an arsehole, or I can call him a f*ing arsehole.
The favourite intensifier words in French are to k tack on "de merde" or " de ta mère" etc. after the insult word, be it connard, branleur, trouduc' or whatever.
This.

Apparently my french accent is craquant. This word is causing me confusion. I had heard that to describe food it would translate as crispy? It looks like craquer is similar to the word to crack. Ok, i get that usage, but un accent craquant translates as cute. Which means they are using craquant in a similar way to how we use cracking?

Have I got this right?

Apparently my french accent is craquant. This word is causing me confusion. I had heard that to describe food it would translate as crispy? It looks like craquer is similar to the word to crack. Ok, i get that usage, but un accent craquant translates as cute. Which means they are using craquant in a similar way to how we use cracking?

Have I got this right?
Or maybe your accent cracks them up.

Have I got this right?
It means adorable, cute, irresistible.
Cracking is pretty close.

advertisement

Back