advertisement

pit

pfm Member
Hi,
is there any experience with sra vr isolation base with electronics or bookshelf speaker? Some comparison with isoacoustic or townshend?

I own a naim pre+lps+amp, where is the most effective component to isolate?

Thanks
Pit

Isolation of SS stuff seems to be nonsense, tube equipment too.

Speaker support "logic" seems to be all over the place these days.

On one hand you have compliant supports which aim specifically to not restrain the speaker - sorbothane and the large sprung bases (Townshend???), for instance. Then you have the old-fashioned spikes, which aim to hold the speaker rock steady by virtue of enormous pressure being exerted via a near point contact onto a solid substrate, although people then destroy this by using "cups" under the spikes which take the pressure between speaker and substrate back to nothing special.

As @Amber Audio says - experiment and see for yourself, ideally buy carefully second-hand so that there is no financial risk, although a small sheet of sorbothane or hemispheres will cost not much.

I had an SRA base (they grey looking one) for an amplifier a few years ago. Looked good - but ultimately gave very little sonic improvement. I've experimented a lot with isolation over the years, both racks and things equipment stand on. At the less expensive and of the market, Townshend stuff actually works and gives tangible improvements. HRS and Grand Prix Audio works well at the other end of the scale, but the cost is high. As others have said - trial/error and experimentation is best, though with SRA it's difficult as it's all made to order. Hunt out something second hand - Audiogon best as the US seems to be their biggest market. IF all else fails - don't stress over it - pour more wine.

advertisement

Back