advertisement

Sign of the times - DPD France halts exports to UK temporarily

Same with DPD Germany too:

https://www.dpd.com/de/en/support/coronavirus-aktuelle-informationen-zum-paketversand/

Are the EU-wide pandemic measures on controlling the infection in the UK also affecting parcel shipping?
Due to the EU-wide pandemic measures, the movement of goods between the UK and the EU is currently severely disrupted. Until further notice DPD will not transport any parcels from the UK. If your parcel has not yet crossed the EU border, delivery to Germany in the next few days will not be possible.

We will also be unable to accept your parcels for shipping to the UK and Ireland until further notice. Parcels that have already been handed over to DPD and have not yet arrived in the country of destination will be returned to the shipper within the next few days.

This is a bit annoying as I bought something on Christmas Eve from a seller in Germany, but at least it's safe with them rather than caught in postage limbo. I don't know when he'll be able to post it.

The French version says the above, plus gives the reason (pandemic,long queues, compulsory testing and what Grant Shapps asked) and adds the rider that, assuming things return to normal, people who still want to send parcels to the UK must ensure "les colis vers le Royaume-Uni devront alors être « Brexit ready ».

The French version seems to make business sense to me - you don’t want personnel on whom your company depends on going into a country from which they may have to wait days to return and in which the government has asked them to stay away from the ports.

Curious as to why you say that. In my experience DPD are excellent and have the best tracking system out of all of the couriers I deal with.

Don't get me started on Hermes though...
It's all relative, Hermes are the worst by far. However my personal experience with DPD is not great either. Tracking is only any good if a parcel doesn't go missing between check ins.

DPD are great, the best around here........

I am disappoint about the Frenchie ban, looks like my fois gras will get stuck in customs

UPS collected my Devialet from the factory in France at 4pm and delivered it at 2pm next day in Edinburgh, this month. Most impressed and there was me worrying about the Channel- it was flown in via Germany.

UPS collected my Devialet from the factory in France at 4pm and delivered it at 2pm next day in Edinburgh, this month. Most impressed and there was me worrying about the Channel- it was flown in via Germany.
UPS are my courier of choice, as long as they don't lose my stuff then take an age to reimburse. It shouldn't take too much juggling to pick something up and drop it off somewhere else.

I think all these courier companies can only be rated by their local service (depots, delivery drivers etc.); how DPD perform in Cleethorpes has absolutely no bearing on me in the South West.

UPS are my courier of choice, as long as they don't lose my stuff then take an age to reimburse. It shouldn't take too much juggling to pick something up and drop it off somewhere else.

I think all these courier companies can only be rated by their local service (depots, delivery drivers etc.); how DPD perform in Cleethorpes has absolutely no bearing on me in the South West.
I’m guessing corporate clients get far better treatment than Joe Public? The label said ‘UPS Saver’ and even when I dropped the item off at a UPS pick up shop in Edinburgh at 11:00am, I got an email next day at 12:35pm from Devialet to say they had received it.
I’ve found DPD excellent, the timed delivery slot and tracking are a real advantage.

UPS fly everything via their euro hub at Koln. Their service is decent but their technology/tracking is in the Stone Age compared to Dpd.
Dpd suspended their European ‘classic’ service as soon as Macron closed Calais as they didn’t want a mountain of UK export parcels building up in limbo clogging up their system. Sounds like UK bound parcels from Europe have suffered the same suspension.
The real fun and games start next week with new paperwork requirements for all parcels in & out of the EU from the UK.

these courier threads make me laugh. They always turn into "this one is best for me" "this one is worst for me"......blah blah blah tit 4 tat....

we should have one definitive thread an post all exps and opinions in thrre

UPS fly everything via their euro hub at Koln. Their service is decent but their technology/tracking is in the Stone Age compared to Dpd.
Dpd suspended their European ‘classic’ service as soon as Macron closed Calais as they didn’t want a mountain of UK export parcels building up in limbo clogging up their system. Sounds like UK bound parcels from Europe have suffered the same suspension.
The real fun and games start next week with new paperwork requirements for all parcels in & out of the EU from the UK.
Yes, I saw the package go in and out of Koln in the early hours of the morning. I agree about their tracking information though- you seem to go through multiple UPS sites to register- I’ve literally tried to register five times now and have given up. I got passwords, PINs, log in IDs and they even send letters with one time registration that always go fut. I’m not sure they are actually the same thing- ie just a simple single registration to get access to full tracking. I’ve had emails, letters and registered on their App but they seem to be different things. It’s mad. DPD is far easier- register on their App and it’s all there.

these courier threads make me laugh. They always turn into "this one is best for me" "this one is worst for me"......blah blah blah tit 4 tat....

we should have one definitive thread an post all exps and opinions in thrre
I may have sparked this off with my comment about DPD. As I tried to explain, tracking applications aside, the local involvement makes or breaks the courier reputation so all those who have had a great service from DPD or whoever can probably thank the conscientious efforts of their local staff.
@TheDecameron the last two items I have sent have been through UPS Saver and have arrived when they said they would and in the condition they left me - long may it last.

If you read French, DPD make it sound like they're more concerned with their drivers suffering. Here's how google translates their statement:

Despite the decision taken by the French and British authorities to reopen the border, we regret having to maintain the blocking of exports to the United Kingdom and Ireland.

Our decision is for the following reasons:

We do not want to expose our drivers to being stranded at the border during the holidays, far from their relatives, for administrative or health reasons at the borders. As of this writing, there are over 4,000 trucks stranded at the border (and several thousand cars). Each driver will have to pass a PCR test and if it is negative (no contamination) then the driver will be able to resume his journey, otherwise he will be blocked. We do not know how long it will take to apply these rules and the risks to our employees.

UK Transport Secretary Grant Shapps urged truck drivers not to head to Channel ports hoping they can get on ferries or trains.

It has been a trying year and we really want everyone to be able to recharge their batteries with their loved ones during the holidays. It does not seem appropriate to us to expose our drivers to the risk of being stranded.

According to all logic and except for unforeseen events linked to the negotiations still underway between Europe and the United Kingdom, shipments to the United Kingdom & Ireland will resume on 04/01/2021.
In accordance with what is planned, parcels to the United Kingdom must then be "Brexit ready".

DPD France and the entire DPDgroup network remain mobilized to support you in exporting in this exceptional context. The news of each country is constantly evolving, we invite you to consult the latest information to date in the link below, which we will update regularly.

advertisement

Back