advertisement

Sigma 2 x converter on Sigma 70 mm f2.8 macro.

Cleansound

pfm Member
Hi

I have seen very mixed reports and the Sigma website gives a compatibility chart, some say it's wrong with the supplied info.
It would be appreciated if anyone can tell me whether I would be able to use a Sigma 2 x converter with my Sigma 70 mm f2.8 macro lens.
I understand it will work well with my Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS.
Some say it works and can be done, what damage could possibly occur.
Any help would be great.
Thanks all.

According to the Sigma website:

"Due to the high optical quality of this teleconverter, this item will only fit and work with a select list of lenses.

Please refer here for the Sigma Teleconverter matching list"

If the teleconverter is anything like the Nikon ones, then it will have a lens near the external mount which might impact against the lens rear element when you try to mount it. The rear element on the 70mm macro is a floating part of a floating element design, so it is probably very near to the end of the mount itself. Best bet if you have any doubts is to look at both items in a shop.

The 70-200 zoom probably has a recess in that end to accommodate the adapter.

PS: Sigma also do a 150mm Macro, if you just want a longer focal length for your macro work

If I may make a suggestion, if you have the original 70-200 I don't believe the resolution is there for a 2x teleconverter. I'd have thought the 100-400 IS would produce much better results. The new 70-200 is much improved though, and is certainly exceptional wide open, so that would I expect take a 2x teleconverter well.

I seem to remember a friend of mine cropping and up-rezzing 70-200 shots rather than using a 2x teleconverter as the quality was comparable. That was a while back with scanned shots from a 1n/velvia. His lens was certainly the old 70-200 2.8 IS, but i'm not sure which 2x teleconverter he had, but it was used on long primes rather than the zoom.

Oh, and I like the sigma 1.4 EX teleconverter, and think it's a good buy compared to the canon 1.4 one. I haven't used the 2x converters so I can't comment if the same applies, but don't rule out the sigma - they make some cracking stuff.

Cesare

I guess what i'm really saying is go to a shop and compare your 70-200 with the 2x converter against the 100-400 and decide from there....

Hi Cesare

Thanks for the advice, I am getting a secondhand Sigma 2 x today.
For macro I should be getting my Canon 100 mm. today.

Thanks gents.
Yes Martin, I hope so, we have now been married for 18 years, so no easy way out :D
Cesare, I got the non IS version, the L series IS is almost twice the price and I thought unless I get to gain commercially it's just too excessive.
I am sure the AF function of the lens stands for absolutely fast :)

advertisement

Back