Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Sickly Denon DRM 710 Cassette Deck

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by kensalriser, Aug 14, 2022.

1. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

Just pulled out this long unused deck out and unsurprisingly it's not well. No levels appear on the display and with the volume on full you can just about hear distorted underwater sounding playback. The controls operate but when stop is pressed the head doesn't disengage until the unit is powered off and back on.

I've cleaned the heads and pinch rollers but I suspect the problems are something else. Any ideas?

2. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 38yrs a Naim owner

Sounds like the mechanism has become gummed up with dried grease...though that doesn't explain the lack of sound fully

See if it improves slightly by leaving it playing an (old) tape on repeat for a few hours

3. hi-fi132

hi-fi132 pfm Member

Sounds like the heads aren't fully engaging with the tape. These mechanisms have a belt that rotates a drive pulley to lift the head into place. I've fixed a few and the mechanism is a pain to work on, but the electronics don't usually go wrong.

4. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

Thanks for the replies. I've sold it now as I just don't have the inclination to tinker too much.

Just pulled out an old Yamaha K340 deck which also has issues - the head assembly doesn't engage with the tape, but I've discovered that with the window removed for access, I can manually engage the head (ie just push it and hold it there) and it will play. Does that indicate a perished belt, perhaps? And if so, easily replaced?

5. hi-fi132

hi-fi132 pfm Member

Yes, probably the capstan belt is loose as I believe it drives the mechanism functions on that model. I can't remember how easy they are to service though as it's been a while since I worked on one.