advertisement

Sibelius 5

Well, just got back from the record shop. Ended up buying the Karajan recorded in 1968-70. I'm sorry to have raised all this, and then go and buy the Karajan after all. But the man in the shop loves Sibelius and loves the Karajan best of all, he practically begged me to buy it, and it was a 3 CDs, DG special offer with all the symphinies (1 & 3 by Okko Kamu and Helsinki Radio SO) at only 14.99 Euro. Couldn't resist.
Now awaiting insults from all directions.

Well, just got back from the record shop. Ended up buying the Karajan recorded in 1968-70. I'm sorry to have raised all this, and then go and buy the Karajan after all. But the man in the shop loves Sibelius and loves the Karajan best of all, he practically begged me to buy it, and it was a 3 CDs, DG special offer with all the symphinies (1 & 3 by Okko Kamu and Helsinki Radio SO) at only 14.99 Euro. Couldn't resist.
Now awaiting insults from all directions.

You'll get none from me, I think you've made a great choice, Karajan's a great Sibelius conductor, I just wish he'd recorded the third symphony...

You might want to try this as well:

51aJ76xms5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And this...

51AFiLAbW7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-Karajan-London-Philharmonia-Orchestra/dp/B0009NDKU0/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318698347&sr=1-4

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks Basil, and thanks for the amazing video, with the close-ups of the musicians and the party nomenklatura nd their wives. Haunting.

Karajan did Sibelius' symphonies very well. His recording of the fifth is very fine. A bit late now, but my recommendations would have been Osmo Vänskä/Lahti SO or Segerstam/Helsinki PO (both available as the complete cycle). Rattle is supposed to be very good too.

Thank you all very much. The insults I expected were for having first set a "veto" of Karajan recordings and having succeeded in raising a heated debate, and having then gone off and bought the Karajan recording. I must say, Nazi or not, he does a lovely job. Thanks again to everyone.

advertisement

Back