Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Shrewd marketing or...? Schiit now offering three versions of flagship DAC

Discussion in 'audio' started by ToTo Man, Sep 11, 2021.

1. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

I shouldn't be surprised as Jason Stoddard isn't the type to adhere to corporate convention but this latest move is fascinating.

My initial reaction was to suspect a dwindling supply of the original multibit D/A chips to be the motivation behind the new models and that the original model would be phased out. However, if you believe Jason's PR, they basically couldn't agree which of the three versions sounded best (they each preferred a different version) so decided to offer all. The external listening panel who took part in the double-blind A/B/C test also expressed their own individual preference for a particular version and could not reach a consensus, which you could argue vindicate Schiit's decision to offer all three.

Offering three models at different price points is certainly good for consumer choice, but I do wonder if it will ultimately backfire by reducing sales as a result of consumer indecision particularly among those who are unable to audition all three prior to purchase.

Stoddard's blog explaining motivation behind offering three versions of Yggdrasil

AudioHead review of double-blind three-way Yggdrasil listening test

AudiophileStyle review of double-blind three-way Yggdrasil listening test

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  2. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Hmmm a strange commercial decision if so!

I used to think that offering loads of options and variants on things I made would be a brill idea (I still do!) but had to give up on that idea for the reasons you mention... ie no one will then buy any version until they've tried out all the options and variants and it just isn't logistically viable or profitable to facilitate this.

ToTo Man likes this.
  3. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

They either had dacs they needed to shift or didn’t have enough availability of a single unit.

4. kristoffer

kristoffer Danish Hi Fi NERD

A really confusing choice for potential buyers.

5. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

If the all sound so similar surely customers will just choose the cheapest?

6. cromodora

cromodora foshfishfie

Since they are all Schiit..
    1. Floater
    2. Sinker
    3. Chunk (as in the Richard Pryor bit “What does that chunk want?”