advertisement

Shpongle

Fen, the best bit it Nothing Lasts is not their best either, both "Tales of the Inexpressible" and "Are you Shpongled" (their first) are both hellaciously good LPs...

The first two albums were seminal, really broke the mould at the time. The third seemed to (apart from a couple of tracks) seemed to have taken the few bits I didn't like about the second album, and expanded on them. I haven't heard the new one, my wife and various friends went to the Roundhouse gig and said the same thing seems to be true again.
I think they'll always be an interesting act, and Simon P is a talented fellow, but if you're looking to investigate them for the first time, get the first two albums.

Over time Sprongle LPs sound more and more like Younger Brother with Raja Ram.

I downloaded it a while back on the sly and had a listen -- all the traditional Shpongle tropes are here (people talking about drug induced experiences, cut up voices, environmental sounds. Raja's absolutely gorgeous flute playing. Its his Shpongle's sonic stock in trade. Not sure this offers anything more than has already been on a first listend but I have ordered the vinyl direct from Twisted Records; along with the Kraftrwerk Vinyls on order I will stockpile serious listening for when I can afford a Phono Stage and a preamp again and am in front of my speakers again.

There is a possibility that Shpongle may become the Ozric Tentacles of the 21st century - but, hey - it's pretty cool. Thanks for the heads up. There was a Hallucinogen live that looked intresting as well so grabbed both.

Fox - I couldn't see the vinyl on the Twisted site?

Blumenkraft is pure class, Skylon less so but still worth buying...

Jonathatan, its vaguely unsettling, this telephone thing. Humans speaking directly to other humans over a device for the conveyance of an audible signal will never catch on...

fox - I have to peel up my tin foil hat a bit to listen to the telling-bone. When I do that I'm vulnerable to THEM, and the next time you see me I might not be ME. I know I can be sure that if that happens you'll do the right thing...

After you kill the hollowed out zombie not-me? Sure. Don't forget the hard drives as well. You'll need a van for the electrostatics.

Glad you like them! He's one of these artists who's actually been in the industry for years, rated worldwide for his work, having mixed loads of music by other people that you'll have heard, though his own material remains more underground. Increasingly people are becoming aware of him, though. An unsung master! Actually I think he's playing a rare gig at the InSpiral Lounge in Camden, first week in December, if I remember rightly.

The first two albums were seminal, really broke the mould at the time. The third seemed to (apart from a couple of tracks) seemed to have taken the few bits I didn't like about the second album, and expanded on them. I haven't heard the new one, my wife and various friends went to the Roundhouse gig and said the same thing seems to be true again.
I think they'll always be an interesting act, and Simon P is a talented fellow, but if you're looking to investigate them for the first time, get the first two albums.

I think that's about right. I was also at the Roundhouse and, as fox says, the best bits sounded much like Younger Brother.

Well, based on this thread I have tapped into a fresh seam of quality music. 3 CDs in a week (Shpongle) and plans to get Blumenkraft when it appears on amazon again for cheap.

Some of the Sphongle stuff is real quality - psych for the noughties.

Thanks for the tip guys.

Over time Sprongle LPs sound more and more like Younger Brother with Raja Ram.

I downloaded it a while back on the sly and had a listen -- all the traditional Shpongle tropes are here (people talking about drug induced experiences, cut up voices, environmental sounds. Raja's absolutely gorgeous flute playing. Its his Shpongle's sonic stock in trade. Not sure this offers anything more than has already been on a first listend but I have ordered the vinyl direct from Twisted Records; along with the Kraftrwerk Vinyls on order I will stockpile serious listening for when I can afford a Phono Stage and a preamp again and am in front of my speakers again.
Raja Ram? Is he the ancient fellow that used to be in Quintessence?

advertisement

Back