advertisement

Show us your shed ...

This is what I like to call the 'throbbing heart' of my shed ... its in an anteroom at the back to repel the inevitable dust storm when I do anything in the workshop.
Here I can be the captain on the bridge, controlling which bunch of tunes I send where ... or even simply switch on the radio tuner gizmo.
Sometimes, if I'm really bored, I watch TV - or have a sneaky peak at what's going down on PFM.
Life is just a barrel of fun with a shed ....

Shed hifi2021
by mik tec, on Flickr

Is that a Nardi steering wheel off a early '60s Lancia?

Looks to be a Les Leston that were popular in the day.

Pretty sure it is a Leston - LL stamp is almost illegible now though.
Picked it up at an autojumble yonks ago, looking very much the worse for wear. Spruced it up and tried it out on the Mini I had at the time - didn’t like it at all so has kicked about the garage ever since.

Another of our sheds - used to store the garden tools & compost etc.. It leaks a bit, and the hedgehogs like to nest in there on occasion. It used to be the old outside privy I expect.

4G8s2te.jpg

I think when men get to a certain age there is an in-built biological/mental need for a shed/workshop/tools which when satisfied increase calmness, inner comfort and probably extends life. It's evolutionary... therefore it must bestow an advantage.

I think when men get to a certain age there is an in-built biological/mental need for a shed/workshop/tools which when satisfied increase calmness, inner comfort and probably extends life. It's evolutionary... therefore it must bestow an advantage.
Indeed. See also campers, caravans, etc. I get it with travelling for work, pitching up in the hotel and opening the case. There's a simple pleasure in having all you need in one place, you're in charge of all you see, there's no junk and you can just set up some music, a bit of food and you 're done.

Pretty sure it is a Leston - LL stamp is almost illegible now though.
Picked it up at an autojumble yonks ago, looking very much the worse for wear. Spruced it up and tried it out on the Mini I had at the time - didn’t like it at all so has kicked about the garage ever since.

Ah, thanks. I knew it was not Motolita and I'd never heard of Leston. So Nardi sprang to mind.

Indeed. See also campers, caravans, etc. I get it with travelling for work, pitching up in the hotel and opening the case. There's a simple pleasure in having all you need in one place, you're in charge of all you see, there's no junk and you can just set up some music, a bit of food and you 're done.

This is a very interesting concept. I’d love to simplify my life. When I’m at home I see all the things I need to get done. When I’m in the campervan, that small space is all I have to concern myself with. I then come home and see all the jobs awaiting and think less is more. I really should do something about it.

This is a very interesting concept. I’d love to simplify my life. When I’m at home I see all the things I need to get done. When I’m in the campervan, that small space is all I have to concern myself with. I then come home and see all the jobs awaiting and think less is more. I really should do something about it.
Less IS more. Even if you have hobbies there's a quantity of clutter that needs to be gardened out. How much value is there is keeping that almost-worn-out bicycle tyre (yes, I'm guilty) when a new one costs £20 and is better all round? I've spent more on removals moving stuff around than the "stuff" is worth.

I knew I'd end up posting on this thread, despite my best intentions...!

My shed. Built by me from scratch forty years ago.

SAM-2026.jpg

Why are some of the images not showing? They show in the preview. I'm using Img.bb

Last edited:
Less IS more. Even if you have hobbies there's a quantity of clutter that needs to be gardened out. How much value is there is keeping that almost-worn-out bicycle tyre (yes, I'm guilty) when a new one costs £20 and is better all round? I've spent more on removals moving stuff around than the "stuff" is worth.

I've been known to hoard old inner tubes from bikes and motorbikes in the shed. Never know exactly when you might have an urgent need for a selection of rubber tubing of differing diameters and length.

(Jzzzz, I think I've finally turned into my grandfather :) )

Ok - I have to ask...

Why should the diagonal bracing run from the outer top and bottom corners of the door to the hinged side rather than the other way ?

Ok - I have to ask...

Why should the diagonal bracing run from the outer top and bottom corners of the door to the hinged side rather than the other way ?

the only reasonably convincing argument I’ve come across is that with the ‘correct’ geometry the weight of the door will tighten the joints of the bracing - thus ‘incorrect’ would pull them apart.

I’m not entirely convinced the physics add up TBH...

Last edited:
An enlightening article @Marchbanks - thanks :)

IMG-6309.jpg

PS Pat on the back to anyone who can see the error in the pic :D

Based on the article, that door has tension bracing on each half. The 'preferred' solution seems to be one tension brace plus one compression brace - with the compression brace at the top. I can see there is some logic to having one of each - but the next question of course would be why one would choose to fit a compression one on the top as opposed to a tension one, or vice-versa ? :)

advertisement

Back