advertisement

Show us your shed ...

Here's an external view of my sheds (with Ludo chomping on a bone for foreground interest):

171926411.j2t3lvlu.sheds.jpg

The big shed (which I use as an office) has some musical interest as it used to be the home studio of Pye Hasting (from Caravan) and was where his solo album From the Half House was written. The smaller two are used as a potting shed and a tool store, with a wood store in between.

My trouble is that any shed I buy only lasts a few years before warping or rotting (I haven't tried plastic ones-most of them look hideous)

Haven't got any inside pics to hand, but this is the shed complex I built a couple of years ago.... left to right... animal feed/workshop/gardening equipment/lawnmowers/wood store.

IMG-6309.jpg

PS Pat on the back to anyone who can see the error in the pic :D

You have a ladder in the wood store!
Top shed though...

Here's an external view of my sheds (with Ludo chomping on a bone for foreground interest):

171926411.j2t3lvlu.sheds.jpg

The big shed (which I use as an office) has some musical interest as it used to be the home studio of Pye Hasting (from Caravan) and was where his solo album From the Half House was written. The smaller two are used as a potting shed and a tool store, with a wood store in between.

Very nice. In London they'd designate that a house and rent it out for £2K a month :D

Very nice - great space you have :)

The big question is whether this still qualifies as a shed or is not now designated as a 'shoffice' having previously been a 'shtudio' :D

Is there a messiest shed competition? If so….

51418869681_17d0e522e3_b.jpg

….here’s my man shed, converted from extended workshop. I’m in the middle of making in built cupboards and redecorating spare room.

At the other end of man shed, and not much tidier, is where the more delicate man shed stuff happens

51419135573_ba8e8a2466_b.jpg

good rug action.

Does a loft converted to an electronics workshop count? If so, I have 3; small garden shed, two garages (1 as a workshop, and 1 as a motorbike garage and wood storage), plus the loft.

Does a loft converted to an electronics workshop count? If so, I have 3; small garden shed, two garages (1 as a workshop, and 1 as a motorbike garage and wood storage), plus the loft.

Only counts if accompanied by smashing pictures :)

(N.B. a surfeit of sheds appears to be a recurring theme here ... )

This is what I like to call the 'throbbing heart' of my shed ... its in an anteroom at the back to repel the inevitable dust storm when I do anything in the workshop.
Here I can be the captain on the bridge, controlling which bunch of tunes I send where ... or even simply switch on the radio tuner gizmo.
Sometimes, if I'm really bored, I watch TV - or have a sneaky peak at what's going down on PFM.
Life is just a barrel of fun with a shed ....

Shed hifi2021
by mik tec, on Flickr

Amazing workshop - just love those drawers :)
... presumably the fruits of your labour?

Yup, sure are. The most fun is building the workshop and having enough drawers was a necessity. This is workshop version 4 and the first not in a garage so I love the space. Version 5 will be the retirement house and I suspect there will be multiples.

Ooh, nice, this thread comes about at just the right time!
I have the luxury of owning a big old but unused barn-shed behind my new (newly renovated) house that I don't really know what to do with right now.

During the works on the main house I didn't have much time to really think things through regarding the barn, I just needed to complete the house in time!
I at least had it hooked up to sewage & water, and ran several power lines and an an Ethernet cable over there.

But now I'm a bit puzzled on what to do next.

How do you guys keep your sheds dry?
I mean, as soon as you stop heating it, everything will go damp right? Rusty tools and mold and so on?

I have considered using the barn as a guest house, or an office, or a HiFi Man-Cave, but it all comes back to the same problem.
How do I keep it dry when not in use?

It's a two story job, the "attic" was used for hay and wood storage, I'm well aware of what to do and how to insulate it should I need it.
The ground floor is a different story. It was used for animals and equipment.
There's a cow-stable with piss-drenched-bricks as a floor, same goes for a shockingly tiny pig-pen, there's a small tool-keeping-place layed out with some sort of concrete tiles, and there's a place where the tractor used to park, which is just a bit of concrete on plain earth.

If I were to used it as a house, I'de have do pry open all the floors, dig it out by 30-50cm, pour in a new concrete layer, add at least 10cm of insulation on top, and then pour another layer of concrete with floor heating or something.
Too much effort right now.

Cheers,
Tobi.

Ooh, nice, this thread comes about at just the right time!
I have the luxury of owning a big old but unused barn-shed behind my new (newly renovated) house that I don't really know what to do with right now.

During the works on the main house I didn't have much time to really think things through regarding the barn, I just needed to complete the house in time!
I at least had it hooked up to sewage & water, and ran several power lines and an an Ethernet cable over there.

But now I'm a bit puzzled on what to do next.

How do you guys keep your sheds dry?
I mean, as soon as you stop heating it, everything will go damp right? Rusty tools and mold and so on?

I have considered using the barn as a guest house, or an office, or a HiFi Man-Cave, but it all comes back to the same problem.
How do I keep it dry when not in use?

It's a two story job, the "attic" was used for hay and wood storage, I'm well aware of what to do and how to insulate it should I need it.
The ground floor is a different story. It was used for animals and equipment.
There's a cow-stable with piss-drenched-bricks as a floor, same goes for a shockingly tiny pig-pen, there's a small tool-keeping-place layed out with some sort of concrete tiles, and there's a place where the tractor used to park, which is just a bit of concrete on plain earth.

If I were to used it as a house, I'de have do pry open all the floors, dig it out by 30-50cm, pour in a new concrete layer, add at least 10cm of insulation on top, and then pour another layer of concrete with floor heating or something.
Too much effort right now.

Cheers,
Tobi.

My dream space.

The answer to damp is insulation and then the warmth stays in or out, depending on the season. I insulated my workshop with 25mm expanded polystyrene in the walls and 50mm in the ceiling keeping air gaps for circulation and a damp proof membrane on the inside of the external cladding. The floor is a poured concrete slab with 25mm insulation and 25mm chipboard flooring.

The workshop stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter, just perfect, all I have is a simple wall heater set to frost setting so we don’t hit the dew point and I have never had any rust even on the cast iron stuff.

A barn is a challenge however, you will need to make it water and wind tight and insulate or the tin worm will find a way. You could build a sub structure inside for the tools but that would be a shame.

advertisement

Back