advertisement

Should we have a Tool Tips Thread?

Hi folks,

A small wiring tip for you.

if you are wiring several connectors - say DIN plugs, always buy one of the opposite polarity at the same time such as a DIN chassis mounting socket. Put the socket in a vice and plug the ‘plug’ into it while soldering. As well as holding the plug in place, It keeps the pins nice and straight while they get hot ( especially the cheaper variety where the plastic is prone to melt and skew the pins), and makes the process quicker when moving onto the next one.

cheers,

Mike

Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent heatshrink gun for occasional use on small electronics? Also a guide to what size of shrink tube to use for different sizes of wire?
This messing about with electronics is fun isn't it? Is there something addictive in solder?

Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent heatshrink gun for occasional use on small electronics?
I use my hot air soldering station. Not cheap, but I have it anyway. For heat-shrink tubing, any hot air gun will work. Your favourite power tool manufacturer surely has one.

Also a guide to what size of shrink tube to use for different sizes of wire?
Wide enough to slip in place easily and small enough to make a tight fit after shrinking. Various shrink ratios are available.

Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent heatshrink gun for occasional use on small electronics? Also a guide to what size of shrink tube to use for different sizes of wire?
This messing about with electronics is fun isn't it? Is there something addictive in solder?

For larger pieces I use a paint stripper gun I've had for years, for more delicate things many gas soldering irons have a hot air nozzle, dedicated heat shrink guns tend to be very expensive in my experience.

I've got a Dremel versatip I bought on offer that's quite versatile.

advertisement

Back