advertisement

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ok boomer

What date range are you using to exclude yourself here?! I’m 56 (1963) so either very late period ‘baby boomer’ or very early ‘Generation X’ depending on which definition one reads. I certainly feel I missed all advantage of the ‘baby boomer’ era leaving school straight onto the dole queue in 1979 and into the mass unemployment of the 1980s. Regardless, ‘boomer’ as a term of abuse can only be used by millennials, surely?

I’m younger than you. Boomer has been an active slur for maybe 25+ years now. Boomer traditionally stops at 1964 (where Gen-X starts*) but these days “Ok Boomer” is a mindset and class-enabled idea more than a strict age range. “Boomer” has been used by boomer vs boomer which is where it gets really interesting; not gonna lie, watching that demographic tear itself apart is an absolute joy.

Millennials are basically adults now, but I love how Gen Z kids are not giving a **** about hiding their disdain for billionaires and wealth hoarders and boomers and are after blood. Anyone who is 61 is definitely a boomer.

*Gen Xers are largely forgotten about, And are usually confined to the footnotes of these discussions but there are whiny entitled man-baby boomer mindsets among the older Gen X demographic — mostly a demographic rendered harmless by their crippling irony.

I’m younger than you. Boomer has been an active slur for maybe 25+ years now. Boomer traditionally stops at 1964 (where Gen-X starts*) but these days “Ok Boomer” is a mindset and class-enabled idea more than a strict age range. “Boomer” has been used by boomer vs boomer which is where it gets really interesting; not gonna lie, watching that demographic tear itself apart is an absolute joy.

Millennials are basically adults now, but I love how Gen Z kids are not giving a **** about hiding their disdain for billionaires and wealth hoarders and boomers and are after blood. Anyone who is 61 is definitely a boomer.
I’ve had an image of you as a constantly angry, entitled oldie but you’re younger than 56? 55 maybe...?

“Boomer” has been used by boomer vs boomer which is where it gets really interesting; not gonna lie, watching that demographic tear itself apart is an absolute joy.

Obviously every original punk or new-wave artist was a baby boomer though, to have been in a band in that 1975-81 era required it!

What date range are you using to exclude yourself here?! I’m 56 (1963) so either very late period ‘baby boomer’ or very early ‘Generation X’ depending on which definition one reads. I certainly feel I missed all advantage of the ‘baby boomer’ era leaving school straight onto the dole queue in 1979 and into the mass unemployment of the 1980s. Regardless, ‘boomer’ as a term of abuse can only be used by millennials, surely?

'Never trust a Crown Green bowler under thirty', as the mighty HMHB sang. In my day, scorn for the old folk began when one reached teenager status, at which point anyone over 30 was well past it. All this lumping people into categories is surely only for adolescents?

Scotland should have at the very least another referendum on independence. If Brexit takes place, I hope a majority in Scotland vote to leave the UK. Brexit will spell for me the takeover of the far-right in England. I like Scotland and could well move there. Sturgeon and Caroline Lucas are only political leaders in the UK who makes sense and speaks plainly.

Jack

I see it as US Punks 74-76 being the last of the boomers and are hardly even boomers really as they were so disaffected and messed up by their parents and expectations they were practically Gen X. There is a thing called Generation Jones which I think applies to Your demographic. It catches the very last gasp of the boomer era who got little to nothing of the boomer years except the disaffection and social exclusion of their greedy-ass elders but happen to fall into that demographic so naturally they said “**** that shit” and made up their own DIY demographic, which IMV is as punk as it gets.

Millennials and Z honestly have no ****s to give about boomers and are asking ppl like Brian “why aren’t you dead yet?” & it’s a damn good question. Gen X are overlooked but we’re definitely on parole. Cuspers, Twixters, MinionZ the demographic world is awash with myriad terms that make rhyming couplets easier, that’s about it.

But Brian is still a Boomer

All this lumping people into categories is surely only for adolescents?

I don’t really understand the usage outside of being I guess a fairly useful way of assessing socioeconomic advantage/disadvantage by generation etc. It’s only recently I’ve heard it used as a term of abuse, and I think I first heard it on some program about truly dreadful quality grime in Blackpool (I like rap etc, but this really was sub X-Factor grade talentless bollocks!).

Scotland should have at the very least another referendum on independence. If Brexit takes place, I hope a majority in Scotland vote to leave the UK. Brexit will spell for me the takeover of the far-right in England. I like Scotland and could well move there. Sturgeon and Caroline Lucas are only political leaders in the UK who makes sense and speaks plainly.

Jack
Maybe they should have a referendum every 3 years until the SNP get a leave result?

US Punks 74-76 were the last of the boomers, hardly even boomers really as they were so disaffected they were practically Gen X. There is a thing called Generation Jones which I think applies to your age demographic. It catches the last of the boomers who got nothing of the Boomer years but happen to fall into that demographic so naturally they said **** that shit and made their own demographic, which is as punk as it gets.

I’ve just had a quick google and all the UK punk bands (Buzzcocks, Pistols, Clash, Damned, Slits, Wire, X-Ray Spex etc etc) are as I suspected best part of a decade older than me all being born in the mid-50s. Baby boomers all! The youngest I could find was Ari Up, who was only a year older than me so must have been too young to officially get into some of the venues she played!

Never heard of ‘Generation Jones’, I will have a good read. Far prefer the notion of being ‘gen X’ as that better reflects the disenfranchisement my lot felt in basically hitting a failed economy and post-industrial wasteland. I largely missed punk as I was too young, the dark dank and bleak sounds of Factory, new-wave and the more industrial synth-pop was my thing.

'Never trust a Crown Green bowler under thirty', as the mighty HMHB sang. In my day, scorn for the old folk began when one reached teenager status, at which point anyone over 30 was well past it. All this lumping people into categories is surely only for adolescents?

For me, as an ex market researcher, if we did not categorise things and people, we would not really be able to analyse anything.

I largely missed punk as I was too young, the dark dank and bleak sounds of Factory, new-wave and the more industrial synth-pop was my thing.

You are 6 years older than me but we seem to share the same starting point. Synths. You would have been 14 when punk was going off. Perfect age for it, surely?

"Scotland should have at the very least another referendum on independence. If Brexit takes place, I hope a majority in Scotland vote to leave the UK. Brexit will spell for me the takeover of the far-right in England. I like Scotland and could well move there. Sturgeon and Caroline Lucas are only political leaders in the UK who makes sense and speaks plainly."

Jackbarron! I thought you going to move to Berlin if Brexit happened. Why the change of heart?

You are 6 years older than me but we seem to share the same starting point. Synths. You would have been 14 when punk was going off. Perfect age for it, surely?

Yes, but that is far too young to go to gigs, be more than a spectator etc. As a school kid I did buy some of it at the time, e.g. Devo’s first album (US import on splatter vinyl), Sex Pistols Bollocks and a few singles, Television’s first few 12” singles etc, all of which I still have, but very much as part of a wider interest in music. I was buying and listening to prog, electronica (Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream etc) and Hawkwind, Man, Groundhogs, Nektar etc at the same time. It wasn’t until 1980 or so that I really started going to gigs and starting to feel part of a culture rather than an onlooker. Part of this dictated by living way out in the furthest ‘burbs’ on the Wirral so impossible to get back from the Liverpool clubs unless you knew someone with a car, which I did from 1980 or so! The local band that made good was OMD, but again they are a few years older than me. I got to see them early on (Hoylake YMCA IIRC!).

If you played in a punk band and were Gen Jones or last-gasp boomer then you got a free pass to be overlooked as an old fart if you behaved like a juvenile adolescent… the people buying the records with pocket money were 14 and up and typical pop market demographic, Gen X through and through. If you saw those bands (i.e. had income to travel, get into licenced establishments to see bands play live) then you’re probably Gen Jones or last-gasp Boomer. If you only got to see those bands on TOTP (or the very occasional matinee) you’re probably Gen X.

I’m not sure about Television’s Marquee Moon, it was very cerebral and long. Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers and Richard Hell and The Void Oids was more my level, but even that was a bit grown up. Eater (with their child drummer... Dee-generate?) chopping up a pig’s head was obvs a kidult stunt and a bit shit.

I’ve punked up this thread, sorrynotsorry.

I’m not sure about Television’s Marquee Moon, it was very cerebral and long.

I love it, but (say Joy Division, Wire and Magazine excepted), I think I prefer the US late-70s scene to what was happening in the UK; Patti Smith, Television, Talking Heads, Devo, Suicide etc just stand up better today to my mind. I certainly far preferred what came after punk to punk itself. In the UK punk just blew the doors off, the real creativity came later, though somehow in the US it all arrived simultaneously and earlier! I think I just like cerebral and long!

PS Bitches Brew is punk for sure!

Born in Glasgow my passport and everything up until now confirms I am a British citizen. God forbid Scotland do gain independence, I still wish to retain my British nationality. Presumably there would be such an option for those detesters of SNP and their petty, grubby nationalism such as myself?

Born in Glasgow my passport and everything up until now confirms I am a British citizen. God forbid Scotland do gain independence, I still wish to retain my British nationality. Presumably there would be such an option for those detesters of SNP and their petty, grubby nationalism such as myself?

Would there still be a 'Britain' to be a citizen of, though? You might have to chose to be a Scottish or English citizen.

Funny, I dreamed last night about Scotland becoming independent. Crazy as I live on the other side of the world and have never been there.

My outsider's view is that the UK is run by toddlers and influential unts with a c in front; that the referendum was ridiculous in conception and a mighty cock-up; and that Brexit will a disaster on top of a burgeoning train wreck it's already created without even happening. Under these conditions the eventual breakup of the UK seems inevitable to me - Scotland becoming independent and NI joining the Republic.

New Zealand.

New Zealand. Let me think. Ah, yes, that independent island country with a healthy free market economy which practices self-determination - the people hire and sanction those who make their laws and spend their taxes. What a revolutionary concept!

Funny how independence and self-determination is considered to be just fine for New Zealand or Scotland (as well as Australia, the US, China, Japan, Switzerland etc), but for some reason not the UK.

advertisement

Back