advertisement

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just to point out, Scotland is not a subjugated or captured state. England and Scotland are IN UNION and the populations of each were roughly equal when that happened. Northumberland, Mercia, Wessex - technically could also vote to join Scotland?

Just to point out, Scotland is not a subjugated or captured state. England and Scotland are IN UNION and the populations of each were roughly equal when that happened. Northumberland, Mercia, Wessex - technically could also vote to join Scotland?
Them prison camp guards is keepin us in. Expectin another punishment beatin an’all. Ecky-thump or the Morris Dancer’s stick.

Workers and human rights, honouring the fact that 62% of Scottish voters voted remain, freedom of movement across the EU, tariff-free trading with the EU, and probably an influx of people and businesses from England who'd prefer to remain in the EU, rather than get slammed by WTO tariffs or face worse deals than what they have now.

Workers and human rights, honouring the fact that 62% of Scottish voters voted remain, freedom of movement across the EU, tariff-free trading with the EU, and probably an influx of people and businesses from England who'd prefer to remain in the EU, rather than get slammed by WTO tariffs or face worse deals than what they have now.

I accept that 62% of those who voted north of the border voted to remain. That doesn't automatically equate to leaving the Union, though it may be a sound argument for a second ref.

Freedom of movement, fine if, on the balance of negatives and positives, that's more important that whatever the alternative may, or may not, be.

Specifically what worker's rights, and what human rights, do you fear losing? The EU is certainly no respecter of workers rights. The code is Capital over People, and anyone who thinks otherwise has not properly studied the judgements of the ECJ, and has magically erased the evisceration Greece from the equation.

Tariff-free trading - the rUK is Scotland's largest export partner by far, and accounts for nearly 50% of her exports. The figure for the rEU is under 15%. I don't know what percentage of Scotland's GDP that equates to, but I don't imagine it is an enormous figure.

The thing that I completely fail to grasp is the fact that Scotland, as an independent member of the EU, will be a small regional country effectively beholden to decisions made to suit the dominant Franco-German axis. As part of the Union her representation in the Westminster parliament runs to 55 of the 650 MPs, whilst in the EUP it will be I think 8 to 751 MEPs. In addition to her representation - already disproportionate when set against the size of her population - in the UK Parliament, she has an increasingly powerful Parliament of her own. Scotland's representation in Westminster has included a quarter of all Prime Ministers and goodness knows how many Cabinet members in the 20th century alone, and her historical influence in the institutions, businesses and the global reach of the UK going all the way back to the beginning of the Union has been enormous.

Then there are the practical questions over accession to the EU. How long will it take, will Scotland retain the Pound in the interim and thus have no decision over monetary policy, how will she square the 6-7% budget deficit when the EU requires less than half of that figure, how will she manage without the rUK contribution to her coffers over the 3-4 years minimum that it take to accede to the EU, how will she deal with having to accept the Euro, will Spain or one or other of those Flemish parish councils veto her accession and so on? How will the country cope with a hard border with the rUK?

Daily Mail. Unhealthy preoccupation with physical chastisement. On the bare buttocks. See Matron.

Matron had a certain knack with a bic biro for adolescent boys whose testosterone was overruling their willpower. A well-aimed flick settled the difficulty.

http://www.spanishsuccession.nl/uk_england.html
The total population of the British Isles in 1700 is estimated at 8.2 million. The population of England and Wales in 1700 at 5.1 million, that of Ireland at 2.0 million and Scotland 1.1 million.
London alone held about half as many people as the whole of Scotland.

Ooops. Mea Culpa. Misremembered British Economic History O Level 1984 fact. Apologies. I will change my strap line to FACT CHECK UK immediately.

c1700 c5:1 millions and now 56:5.4 millions i.e. about 10:1 ratio. So the "inequality" in terms of size and representation has roughly doubled since Union. So we're twice the bullies we were at Union.

I also notice that the UK fertility rate has decreased from 4.4 to 1.6 in the same time period.

I accept that 62% of those who voted north of the border voted to remain. That doesn't automatically equate to leaving the Union, though it may be a sound argument for a second ref.

Freedom of movement, fine if, on the balance of negatives and positives, that's more important that whatever the alternative may, or may not, be.

Specifically what worker's rights, and what human rights, do you fear losing? The EU is certainly no respecter of workers rights. The code is Capital over People, and anyone who thinks otherwise has not properly studied the judgements of the ECJ, and has magically erased the evisceration Greece from the equation.

Tariff-free trading - the rUK is Scotland's largest export partner by far, and accounts for nearly 50% of her exports. The figure for the rEU is under 15%. I don't know what percentage of Scotland's GDP that equates to, but I don't imagine it is an enormous figure.

The thing that I completely fail to grasp is the fact that Scotland, as an independent member of the EU, will be a small regional country effectively beholden to decisions made to suit the dominant Franco-German axis. As part of the Union her representation in the Westminster parliament runs to 55 of the 650 MPs, whilst in the EUP it will be I think 8 to 751 MEPs. In addition to her representation - already disproportionate when set against the size of her population - in the UK Parliament, she has an increasingly powerful Parliament of her own. Scotland's representation in Westminster has included a quarter of all Prime Ministers and goodness knows how many Cabinet members in the 20th century alone, and her historical influence in the institutions, businesses and the global reach of the UK going all the way back to the beginning of the Union has been enormous.

Then there are the practical questions over accession to the EU. How long will it take, will Scotland retain the Pound in the interim and thus have no decision over monetary policy, how will she square the 6-7% budget deficit when the EU requires less than half of that figure, how will she manage without the rUK contribution to her coffers over the 3-4 years minimum that it take to accede to the EU, how will she deal with having to accept the Euro, will Spain or one or other of those Flemish parish councils veto her accession and so on? How will the country cope with a hard border with the rUK?
Excellent points and questions. I hope you don’t expect any of the nationalists here to provide a serious response. They have a mission to escape the horrible English and none of the above matters.

is that the wee one on the harbour you're on about? If so it's fantastic.

My son tells me the one of the best seafood places (chip shop) is up in Knightswood of all places and the shellfish place on Argyle street, Finnieston is excellent too.
Argyle St ( Finnieston) is amazing for restaurants generally. Where every Victorian tenement block had a pub on the corner, it now has a restaurant. Its been totally transformed in the past 10-15 years. Perhaps this was the seafood restaurant you were thinking of?
http://www.crabshakk.com/
The other phenomenon is the growth in Chinese restaurants where you have to ask for an English menu! There are thousands of Chinese students there and you can end as the only non-Chinese customer.

The dumpling monkey is always worth a visit. Usually full of Chinese students

If the lunatic fringe get their way and make Scotland poorer you can forget all about fine food in Chinese restaurants. It’ll be a munchy box per week from a greasy spoon.

advertisement

Back