advertisement

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This was in early 80s. We sold sacks of 12 dozen scallops on market. The 10p each was wholesale. Then the merchants get hold of it and sell to hotels, restaurants, processors etc. The price would get 3x-5x uplift once on the plate. Say 50p per portion.

Nowadays cost portion is about £10.

Scotland has good shellfish stocks and the moves to farming them and hand diving wild fish is a great national asset and eminently sustainable.

I was on Barra a few years ago on holiday and there was a huge shellfish processing plant but you couldn't buy shellfish on Barra, most of the local shellfish was exported to France and Spain, think it still happens but there was an articulated lorry running from Barra to Spain every week or every few days.

I was on Barra a few years ago on holiday and there was a huge shellfish processing plant but you couldn't buy shellfish on Barra, most if the local shellfish was exported to France and Spain, think it still happens but there was an articulated lorry running from Barra to Spain every week or every few days.

Yep they’ll Happily pay a premium for our shellfish and cephalopods. Always have. It’s the best quality.

All the spider crabs and cuttlefish that you couldn’t historically give away in this country, has found markets on the continent.
Gentrification of food in this country has changed that, but the French and Spanish are still more willing to pay a premium.

I’ve a guilty secret- most nights I get the ferry over, I get a fish supper from the old boy in Wemyss Bay. Absolutely love it and he’s generous to his regulars. Only worry is, he’s looking like he might retire in the not too distant future and someone else might not be as good. The big chip shop in Rothesay is a strange place!
Its kid on fish and chip shops in Rothesay so fully understand why you would go to Wemyss bay. We eat fish at least three times a week. Last night I made a vegetable stock. Strained the stock into another pot. Added chopped red chilli , fresh ginger , lemongrass, sliced shallots, chopped coriander stocks , juice from a lime. Simmer for an hour. During that time cook noodles. Cut up Pak Choi. After one hour into the stock / broth put small heads of broccoli, whole pea pods , wee whole corn, cherry tomatoes and cut up loin of Cod. Only needs a few minutes cooking. Serve in large bowls. Bed of noodles on top sauted wilted Pak Choi. Then spoon on the stock / broth with the Cod. Sprinkle with fresh coriander and chopped spring onion serve with a wedge of lime. Very healthy and light to eat :)

All this talking about fish. Two nights ago had a dish composed of raw smoked haddock on warm cauliflower purée with fish eggs and finely diced sour apple. The smoked haddock was from Scotland- served in Provence. Last night it was Vietnamese prawn noodle bowl with broth- Bun as opposed to Pho.

Last edited:
All this talking about fish. Two nights ago had a dish composed of raw smoked haddock on warm cauliflower purée with fish eggs and finely diced sour apple. The smoked haddock was from Scotland- served in Provence. Last night it was Vietnamese prawn noodle bowl with broth- Bun as opposed to Pho.
Smoked Haddock dish sounds like very nice flavours might have a wee go at that myself. Also love food with a far eastern twist. Was in Bali in January for the first time. Was impressed with curry there to me it was like a cross between Thai & Indian. Now I make a batch of curry sauce put into portions and freeze. Do the same with my own tomato sauce. Maybe we need to start a food thread lol.

Smoked Haddock dish sounds like very nice flavours might have a wee go at that myself. Also love food with a far eastern twist. Was in Bali in January for the first time. Was impressed with curry there to me it was like a cross between Thai & Indian. Now I make a batch of curry sauce put into portions and freeze. Do the same with my own tomato sauce. Maybe we need to start a food thread lol.
Great. I’m always fishing for ideas.

Cod/coley or haddock. Flaky steak from a large fish roasted for <10mins. Served with shellfish bisque (make from prawn/crab/ lobster shells/heads, garlic wine, spices herbs to taste. Sieve and Finish with creme fraiche and a few cooked mussels.

Serve with parsley, mash and peas. Mmmmmm

On topic, the UK has by far best seafood and varied fisheries in EU. Best preserved and sustained together as one nation and without the crippling Common Fisheries Policy. CPF is why most fishing communities voted leave. It's totally understandable given the problems of quota hopping and pointless discard, and their impatience after 40 years CPF waiting for reform.

For me it's simple.

If we end up leaving the EU, SM & CU, then it is within Scotland's best interests to become independent, and remain in them.

That’s Hamlet, though, not The Scottish Play...

The Danish Play?

If you catch the commuter train to the end of the line in Copenhagen you end up at Hamlet's place, Elsinore. It's the Cockfosters of Copenhagen. I suppose nowadays you can actually end up in Sweden as well. Do they do stag nights in Denmark? "We stripped his unconscious body naked and put him on the overnight train to Sweden". That's probably not a special celebration in a Scandinavian country. It's probably just a Tuesday. Naked Sweden day. I'll watch some Nordic Noir and see if I can work it out.

advertisement

Back