advertisement

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Have you been to the famous one in Irvine? I’ve yet to go but a friend in Dunlop raves about it.

is that the wee one on the harbour you're on about? If so it's fantastic.

My son tells me the one of the best seafood places (chip shop) is up in Knightswood of all places and the shellfish place on Argyle street, Finnieston is excellent too.

lol

A thread entitled "Should Scotland be an independent country?" has been turned into a discussion about deep fried food and bridie's.

Let's go the whole hog...

Anyone had a munchy-box? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchy_box)
"A munchy box or munchie box is an inexpensive fast-food product sold from takeaway restaurants, primarily in the West of Scotland and Glasgow in particular, but also in the East from Aberdeen to St Boswells. It consists of an assortment of fast foods served in a large pizza box."

Here are a couple of examples.

th

th

Apparently these can be had for ~£10.

Last edited:
Ps ex Devon scallop fisherman who can remember getting 10p each

God I love scallops, 10p each?

Normandy is fantastic for shellfish too, they have wee takeaway vans by the side of the road, a wee plastic plate with six oysters and a glass of Muscadet Sur Lie for 6 euros the last time I was there about six years ago.

The plate had indents for the six oysters and for the wine cup, all plastic of course but the food and wine were superb.

Only in France:D

lol

A thread entitled "Should Scotland be an independent country?" has been turned into a discussion about deep fried food and bridie's.

"A munchy box or munchie box is an inexpensive fast-food product sold from takeaway restaurants, primarily in the West of Scotland and Glasgow in particular, but also in the East from Aberdeen to St Boswells. It consists of an assortment of fast foods served in a large pizza box."

th

th

I'm on the Isle Of Bute both Chinese and Indian do them here. Never ordered one though I know young ones love them.

Scallops in batter? What a waste.
I would agree with you and would never dream of cooking them with batter. However when your out and about this trailer sells seafood straight from local fishing boats . Scallops and chips was delicious I kid you not we kept going back for them to cook us more. Remember you can get a deep fried Mars Bar up here a step too far for me.

lol

th

th

Don't forget these delights

In a good fish supper, you could argue the potato is as important as the fish- nothing worse than soggy chips. Is there a variety that makes the ideal chip?

I'm on the Isle Of Bute both Chinese and Indian do them here. Never ordered one though I know young ones love them.
I’ve a guilty secret- most nights I get the ferry over, I get a fish supper from the old boy in Wemyss Bay. Absolutely love it and he’s generous to his regulars. Only worry is, he’s looking like he might retire in the not too distant future and someone else might not be as good. The big chip shop in Rothesay is a strange place!

lol

th

th

This is Scotland's primary attraction.

In a good fish supper, you could argue the potato is as important as the fish- nothing worse than soggy chips. Is there a variety that makes the ideal chip?
I don't bother with the chips any more from fish and chip shops. They are always soggy and they put too many on. I just get the biggest fish and peas.

lol

th

th

Wow. There had better be some serious investment going into coronary care in Scotland post independence.

I would agree with you and would never dream of cooking them with batter. However when your out and about this trailer sells seafood straight from local fishing boats . Scallops and chips was delicious I kid you not we kept going back for them to cook us more. Remember you can get a deep fried Mars Bar up here a step too far for me.

I come from a small fishing port in Devon. Fisherman’s breakfast used to be all the stuff not worth much. In the 70s that was scallops, monkfish, fried up with bacon and mushrooms.

Noone can afford it now.

I come from a small fishing port in Devon. Fisherman’s breakfast used to be all the stuff not worth much. In the 70s that was scallops, monkfish, fried up with bacon and mushrooms.

Noone can afford it now.
Salivating here guest! Whereabouts in Devon - anywhere near the big smoke (Plymouth)?!

God I love scallops, 10p each?

Normandy is fantastic for shellfish too, they have wee takeaway vans by the side of the road, a wee plastic plate with six oysters and a glass of Muscadet Sur Lie for 6 euros the last time I was there about six years ago.

The plate had indents for the six oysters and for the wine cup, all plastic of course but the food and wine were superb.

Only in France:D

This was in early 80s. We sold sacks of 12 dozen scallops on market. The 10p each was wholesale. Then the merchants get hold of it and sell to hotels, restaurants, processors etc. The price would get 3x-5x uplift once on the plate. Say 50p per portion.

Nowadays cost portion is about £10.

Scotland has good shellfish stocks and the moves to farming them and hand diving wild fish is a great national asset and eminently sustainable.

advertisement

Back