advertisement

Should I buy a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 to replace 70-300 VR ?

Colinb

pfm Member
I have a 200-500 and a 70-300 which I use with my D500. I have had the 70-300 for quite a few years now, mainly because it is so light and very useful for travel and has good IQ, if a little soft at the longer end. I'm contemplating buying a 70-200 2.8 VRII to replace the 70-300 in order to gain the extra stop, better bokeh and IQ, although its a lot heavier and more expensive. Cost is not really an issue. I usually buy second hand from the likes of LCE, MPB and Parks Cameras. I have read some reviews that say up to 200mm there's not much difference and also that the 70-300 works well with the kenko teleplus 300 pro 1.4 x converter. So, has anybody compared these two lenses and opted for the 70-200 ?

No experience of the 70-300, but worth thinking about the 70-200 f4. I think it is a cracking lens, that is unless you must have f2.8.

That's also been a consideration as by all accounts it's as good and in some areas better than the 2.8 plus it's smaller and lighter.

Yeah I’ve got the f4 as well and it’s super sharp wide open with excellent VR. Works well with the 1.4 extender too. Well worth considering.

Had the F4 with my old D700 - fabulous lens, sharp in just about every setting and a lot lighter than the 2.8. Superb VR too.

+1 for using a 70-200 F4. The reality is the depth of field is so low at the longer lengths that there is no real creative benefit from having a 200/2.8 vs a 200/4 (and at shorter lengths, there are primes that have significantly larger apertures, so give you more creative freedom than f/2.8). Combine this with decent high ISO performance and focus from modern bodies, and the fact that the f/4 lenses are a very modern no compromise construction, and they look like the best option if optical quality is what you are chasing.

I have no opinion on Nikon lenses. However, it might help if you said what you normally shoot. 2.8 provides more light to the AF system than 4.0 and this can make a difference.

I've had a 80-200 F2.8 for many years (a Tokina ATX-Pro in Pentax AF) and find it a very useful lens for all sorts of things. One thing to definitely bear in mind though is how willing you are to carry it as they are heavy. I use a Pentax full-frame system and carry the 80-200 F2.8 when I'm primarily out doing photography stuff, but a lot of the time I take a lighter lens instead (I have consumer spec 70-300's and a 135-400 that are a fair bit lighter).

I'm beginning to think that the f4 might be the best option as i do travel a lot and airline hand luggage limits are getting smaller.

I'm beginning to think that the f4 might be the best option as i do travel a lot and airline hand luggage limits are getting smaller.
lift weights, carry your 70-200 2.8 like it's a 50mm prime.

I've had VR1 (twice), and now have FL-E. You can prise it from my cold dead hands. It's worth the weight. When you are somewhere and you see the perfect shot, and you've compromised with a lighter lens... you'll barely get the gear out of your backpack. Is it dedication or masochism that sees me travel with this lens?

lift weights, carry your 70-200 2.8 like it's a 50mm prime.

I've had VR1 (twice), and now have FL-E. You can prise it from my cold dead hands. It's worth the weight. When you are somewhere and you see the perfect shot, and you've compromised with a lighter lens... you'll barely get the gear out of your backpack. Is it dedication or masochism that sees me travel with this lens?

The thing is, the f/4 is probably sharper than the f/2.8 in most situations - it's a better resolving lens. The only downside is loosing that one stop, which isn't very important these days unless you are at the limit of what your camera can do. The one benefit I can see of the f/2.8 is the extender support, so if you want to slap a 1.4x or 2x extender on, then this will be the better choice, but i'd personally take a 70-200/4 and a 100-400 as a better combination for most situations.

I 've decided to get the f4. I sold my 300/2.8 about 2 years ago and replaced it with the 200-500 because it was a good deal lighter for travel, so I don't want to add another 1.6kg for the 70-200/2.8 if I can get the same or better IQ with the f4 at only 850g as most of my photography is out in the field in fairly remote locations.

Bought the 70-200 f4 so will be taking it on our trip to Gambia in 10 days. I shall be interested to see how it compares with the 1.4 x converter to my 200-500 5.6.

That's also been a consideration as by all accounts it's as good and in some areas better than the 2.8 plus it's smaller and lighter.
In which areas exactly is the 70-200 f4 better than the 70-200 VRII or FL/E?

I never said the 70-200VRII or FL/E, although some say its as good as the VRII if you don't need 2.8.
Have a look at https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-200mm-f4.htm I quote "Yes, it's super-sharp, sharper than Nikon's 24-70/2.8 and about the same as Nikon's extraordinary 70-200/2.8 VR II. When a lens is this good, there's not much to say: at the long distances for which you use a long lens, this lens is ultrasharp even wide open, all the way out to the corners on a 36 MP D800E."
Also have a look at https://www.dxomark.com/nikon-af-s-...r-review-an-enlightened-70-200mm-lens-choice/ " Mounted to a Nikon D3x, the AF-S 70-200mm f/4G ED VR scores 19P-Mpix making it one of the sharpest 70-200mm telephoto lenses available from any manufacturer. The only other lens that comes close is Canon’s EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens at 18P-Mpix, but it comes at a price that is more than $1000USD higher."

I never said the 70-200VRII or FL/E, although some say its as good as the VRII if you don't need 2.8.
Have a look at https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-200mm-f4.htm I quote "Yes, it's super-sharp, sharper than Nikon's 24-70/2.8 and about the same as Nikon's extraordinary 70-200/2.8 VR II. When a lens is this good, there's not much to say: at the long distances for which you use a long lens, this lens is ultrasharp even wide open, all the way out to the corners on a 36 MP D800E."
Also have a look at https://www.dxomark.com/nikon-af-s-...r-review-an-enlightened-70-200mm-lens-choice/ " Mounted to a Nikon D3x, the AF-S 70-200mm f/4G ED VR scores 19P-Mpix making it one of the sharpest 70-200mm telephoto lenses available from any manufacturer. The only other lens that comes close is Canon’s EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens at 18P-Mpix, but it comes at a price that is more than $1000USD higher."
No indeed; I said VRII or FL/E as it wasn't clear/declared, earlier. I appreciate the clarification and the links, thanks.

Sadly DXO mark still haven't tested the 2.8 FL/E.

How did you find the F4 in the field on your recent trip?

I have to say that it didn't get used in Gambia as I had the 200-500 on all of the time for birds, but using it back here in the UK it is very sharp, good contrast and amazingly light in the field. We are off to Corfu in a couple of weeks so I will make sure that it gets plenty of use, including with the 1.4x converter as I will probably need to cut down on the weight of my hand luggage. Also, I want to have fully tested it and know how to get the best out of it before we head off to South Africa later in the year.

a tad late but I'd be looking at the Sigma/Tamron offerings...at least as good for less.
specifically this: Tamron SP 70-200 f2.8 DI VC USD...about £1000 cheaper than the Nikon equivalent.

Yes the Tamron G2 is cheaper than the latest nikkor 2.8 lenses. But not if you don't need a 2.8 and do as I did and buy a very good condition secondhand f4 one from MPB for £499. It was just missing the original box and lenshood. All of the 2.8 lenses are double the weight of the f4 and in reality you won't see a lot of difference in bokeh unless using it at close range as the depth of field gets less as you increase the focal length as the focus distance gets greater

advertisement

Back