advertisement

Should England hold a referendum to leave the UK, leaving Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

Should England hold a referendum to leave the UK, leaving Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland ?

• Yes

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 28 51.9%

• Total voters
We haven’t even left yet. Once the real thing begins- the years of negotiating with the EU bloc from the outside, that’s when the domestic stress test really begins. Johnson’s words will have historic importance “ Great Britain will leave the EU whole and entire” but not for the reason he imagined.

Scotland could.

As for the rest, Wales also voted to leave, and economically would really struggle outside the UK union. NI voted to remain, but Johnson's deal may satisfy some of them (although the customs arrangements remind me of China Mieville's The City and the City), plus they have the galling situation that even if they voted for Irish unification, Dublin wouldn't necessarily agree.
Wales was a leave vote overall, but my constituency did not, and there is credible evidence that the national leave vote was swung by English retirees. There is considerable momentum at the moment for a referendum - lots of "Yes" flags about, and I even saw a transit van painted up as "Cofiwch Dryweryn" the other day.
Economically, I suppose wales has tourism, and the considerable natural assets of exportable water and offshore power. Not as solid a proposition as Scotland (but we have less midges) I will concede, but maybe not a struggle either.

We really don’t believe the leave campaign would win this time round do we? Now that people are getting a whiff of what they’re actually in for.

Wales was a leave vote overall, but my constituency did not, and there is credible evidence that the national leave vote was swung by English retirees. There is considerable momentum at the moment for a referendum - lots of "Yes" flags about, and I even saw a transit van painted up as "Cofiwch Dryweryn" the other day.
Economically, I suppose wales has tourism, and the considerable natural assets of exportable water and offshore power. Not as solid a proposition as Scotland (but we have less midges) I will concede, but maybe not a struggle either.
That’s where even tiny countries, like Latvia score with full membership of the EU. Regional development assistance and being in the largest free trade bloc in the world. Look at Ireland’s economic development. For decades it was kept down economically by Britain after it dared to achieve independence and even recently Britain thought it could walk over them on the issue of the border- then they saw they weren’t trying to strong arm a country of under five million people but Ireland with the whole EU at its back.

Following the partition of Ireland, with the industrialised part of Ireland in the north sequestered by the British, the rest of Ireland depended disproportionately on agricultural exports to which a Britain, its biggest export market, applied tariffs which strangled the economy of the Free State.

Following the partition of Ireland, with the industrialised part of Ireland in the north sequestered by the British, the rest of Ireland depended disproportionately on agricultural exports to which a Britain, its biggest export market, applied tariffs which strangled the economy of the Free State.
To be fair, the Irish themselves contributed to this. Éamon de Valera, the only commandant of the Easter Rising who wasn't put up against a wall, and later Taoiseach, had this hopelessly romantic vision of an agrarian Ireland with "comely maidens dancing at the crossroads". I'm not sure that "industry" was in his vocabulary. His extremely conservative version of Roman Catholicism had an effect whose burdens have only recently been removed.

The sequestering was by popular vote of the residents of those counties and, to be fair, the Republic was free to export their produce to all other countries of the world - who would also apply tariffs.

The sequestering was by popular vote of the residents of those counties and, to be fair, the Republic was free to export their produce to all other countries of the world - who would also apply tariffs.
Can you direct us to the ‘popular vote’ event you describe?

advertisement

Back