advertisement

Should England hold a referendum to leave the UK, leaving Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

Should England hold a referendum to leave the UK, leaving Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland ?

• Yes

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 28 51.9%

• Total voters
On a thread about England having an independence referendum, unsurprisingly you again divert to another subject- Scottish independence. You vote to leave the EU, you move to France then complain that France and the EU institutions are not to your liking. The EU is racist, it’s anti business etc etc. You ride around on your bike making rude hand gestures to the Instituations of the country you moved to. It’s like debating with someone who gets his political philosophy ( such as it is) from democratic football lads alliance blogs. You just sound like a seething, provincial curtain twitcher Rich.
So will you explain it or not?

Regarding your first point about me diverting, please note I made my contribution in post 65. I am more than happy to develop this idea with you or debate it.

Regarding your 2nd point about my anti-France sentiment, I promise you I have a longer list of stuff I dislike about living in Hull. I am here to work, but better weather, better healthcare, better infrastructure, cheaper holidays, bringing my French up from A2 to B2 and hopefully to fully fluent in the next year or two and the beauty of the city all make it a more attractive place than where I was. But there is no reason why I should not highlight the shite things about the place either, like the bureaucracy, the schools, the tax, the supermarket fresh produce, the restaurant service. All worth mentioning as and when it comes up.

Regarding the EU being racist, it was your favourite paper that informed me that in fact it is. And that many countries in the EU have a population more racist than Brits. Shall I put the links up again?

I do not make rude gestures to the French institutions here at all. I do, however, stick 2 fingers up as I ride past the EU buildings. What is wrong with that? They are empty most of the time, enormous and could house probably the entire French homeless population.

Why the character assassination with completely the wrong negative picture of me, what's got your goat here? I don't really watch or talk about football, I am a liberal that feels that life is oppressive for too many of us too much of the time. There is my political philosophy. I'm not seething in any way, I'm an ex-pothead that spent most of my life hanging out with bands and other failed artists. I am still completely like that but with a job and without the pot. I'm going out planting trees with my kids on Monday with a local environmental group. Yet you try to paint me regularly as a knuckle dragging man in white van with an England flag tattooed on the back of my neck.

The curtain twitching insult; I don't have the faintest where that comes from. It's the sort of thing lonely pensioners do if they don't approve of their neighbours. I am miles off being a pensioner, am raising 2 kids and doing enough in my life to only look out the window first thing in the morning in the hope that we can get around on bikes. My neighbours below are Vietnamese and above African. I have absolutely no interest in spying on them and am well aware I am just another flavour of immigrant in the apartment block. Live and let live. As ever ffs.

So what's the answer to my unanswered question?

So will you explain it or not?

Regarding your first point about me diverting, please note I made my contribution in post 65. I am more than happy to develop this idea with you or debate it.

Regarding your 2nd point about my anti-France sentiment, I promise you I have a longer list of stuff I dislike about living in Hull. I am here to work, but better weather, better healthcare, better infrastructure, cheaper holidays, bringing my French up from A2 to B2 and hopefully to fully fluent in the next year or two and the beauty of the city all make it a more attractive place than where I was. But there is no reason why I should not highlight the shite things about the place either, like the bureaucracy, the schools, the tax, the supermarket fresh produce, the restaurant service. All worth mentioning as and when it comes up.

Regarding the EU being racist, it was your favourite paper that informed me that in fact it is. And that many countries in the EU have a population more racist than Brits. Shall I put the links up again?

I do not make rude gestures to the French institutions here at all. I do, however, stick 2 fingers up as I ride past the EU buildings. What is wrong with that? They are empty most of the time, enormous and could house probably the entire French homeless population.

Why the character assassination with completely the wrong negative picture of me, what's got your goat here? I don't really watch or talk about football, I am a liberal that feels that life is oppressive for too many of us too much of the time. There is my political philosophy. I'm not seething in any way, I'm an ex-pothead that spent most of my life hanging out with bands and other failed artists. I am still completely like that but with a job and without the pot. I'm going out planting trees with my kids on Monday with a local environmental group. Yet you try to paint me regularly as a knuckle dragging man in white van with an England flag tattooed on the back of my neck.

The curtain twitching insult; I don't have the faintest where that comes from. It's the sort of thing lonely pensioners do if they don't approve of their neighbours. I am miles off being a pensioner, am raising 2 kids and doing enough in my life to only look out the window first thing in the morning in the hope that we can get around on bikes. My neighbours below are Vietnamese and above African. I have absolutely no interest in spying on them and am well aware I am just another flavour of immigrant in the apartment block. Live and let live. As ever ffs.

So what's the answer to my unanswered question?

Nice strings, why'd he have to mess it up with all the horns like some other people are warming up for a completely different song, or is that the unanswered question.
He’s very good. To go back to your question- do you mind if I sleep on it? That way I’ll give you a more considered response rather than being off the cuff.

It's like suspense movie soundtrack stuff from the 40s and 50s. I assume his work did in fact end up used this way, even if not written for it?

Just wait til Corbyn finds himself in No.10 with McDonnell holed up next door. The financial issues of the UK over the last decade will look like a kids' party in comparison to the chaos those two would wreak in power...!
Dont kid yourself Boris has huge borrowing plans that's why I wrote the whole system is knackered debt will be around for your grandchildren.

That’s interesting seeing data for all voters re Brexit. Earlier this year there was polling for Tory Party members showing-

“A survey of 892 Conservative Party members by YouGov found that 59% would prefer to see Northern Ireland split from the UK if it secured Brexit, while 63% would rather see Scotland become independent”.

“The Conservative and Unionist Party” is clearly a breach of the trade descriptions act. Every time Johnson, Gove or Francois get up and say “our precious union” with a straight face, my toes curl in my shoes. Unionists in Northern Ireland must surely see they’re being mugged off by this lot?

Definitely! The sooner we are rid of Scotland, Ireland and Wales, the better.

Again you've got it wrong, it should read "the sooner Scotland, Ireland and wales are rid of England the better.
Yes I am allowed to say that, I'm half English and I voted to remain in the Union but find that the bloated self important opinion of a few members is gauling, give it a rest.

English nationalism can’t be swept under the carpet - it’s finding its voice, it’s stating it’s aspirations to self-determination through leaving Europe and it’s only just getting going. It might be called ‘Brexit’ but that’s because it sounds more impressive as leverage, as though a group of nations was demanding to leave Europe. This can only be resolved by allowing the nations of the U.K. to individually decide on whether they want to remain in Europe. Once we are out, the nations of the UK are rapidly going to head in different directions.

Again you've got it wrong, it should read "the sooner Scotland, Ireland and wales are rid of England the better.
Yes I am allowed to say that, I'm half English and I voted to remain in the Union but find that the bloated self important opinion of a few members is gauling, give it a rest.
I refer you to post 7 and post 87. My post that you think I got it wrong in was a response to post 7 to see how many likes the comment would get versus post 7. It is essentially a reworded version of post 7. You will note post 7 got 5 likes and no criticism and it suggests England be got rid of. My comment, which expresses the exact same sentiment using the same structure but in reverse regarding the countries, got zero likes and now 2 people have criticised it. Can you explain that to me?

All in fun with a light touch from me, as post 7 was, I hope.

If you want to apologise to me via pm for barking give it a rest at me, then that will be fine.

I refer you to post 7 and post 87. My post that you think I got it wrong in was a response to post 7 to see how many likes the comment would get versus post 7. It is essentially a reworded version of post 7. You will note post 7 got 5 likes and no criticism and it suggests England be got rid of. My comment, which expresses the exact same sentiment using the same structure but in reverse regarding the countries, got zero likes and now 2 people have criticised it. Can you explain that to me?

All in fun with a light touch from me, as post 7 was, I hope.

If you want to apologise to me via pm for barking give it a rest at me, then that will be fine.
My, you’ve got a big sample size! ( in the voice of Hattie Jakes).

English nationalism can’t be swept under the carpet - it’s finding its voice, it’s stating it’s aspirations to self-determination through leaving Europe and it’s only just getting going. It might be called ‘Brexit’ but that’s because it sounds more impressive as leverage, a as though a group of nations was demanding to leave Europe. This can only be resolved by allowing the nations of the U.K. to individually decide on whether they want to remain in Europe. Once we are out, the nations of the UK are rapidly going to head in different directions.

Scotland could.

As for the rest, Wales also voted to leave, and economically would really struggle outside the UK union. NI voted to remain, but Johnson's deal may satisfy some of them (although the customs arrangements remind me of China Mieville's The City and the City), plus they have the galling situation that even if they voted for Irish unification, Dublin wouldn't necessarily agree.

advertisement

Back