advertisement

Should all record decks be red?

mik bhavnani

pfm Member
Firms like Rega are offering are offering their decks in a ever wider choice of colours. Project are doing the same. Should all manufacturers offer a range of colours any one fancy a Michell Orbe in metalic white?. If you could order your new turntable in any colour or finish what would you choose?

Everything should be black.

everything !

mm1.jpg

If I had a Thorens 124 in the 'tight' plinth I'd have it in a fetching shade of pale blue; but I haven't, so I won't.
For some reason I quite like valve amps in good paint colours...Shindo Green is probably a part of their sales success. For decks, a nice beech ply plinth is about right; the sort Palmer do. I once had an SPJ 'La Luce' deck; all acrylic and very beautiful. If you put a small lamp under it, it glowed a golden colour. As far as you could ever get from a Linn.

I like a little natural wood with mine. Lefty's P9 looked real spiffy!

Indeed..

In fact it was playing Bob Dylan, Gomez and Laura Marling at my place last night and putting in a grand performance. Classic Rega with quite possibly the nicest classic Rega aesthetics ever.

Regards.

John R.

For my money/tastes, silver finishes - particularly polished chrome (eg Acutus) and brushed stainless steel (eg LP12 top plate) - are too prone to 'fingerprinting' and the like and always look as if the owner has never lifted a finger to keep them looking at their best. Finishes like these - anywhere on a deck - are a complete no-no.

Where the deck design is based on an unbroken plinth (i.e. box), then, for me, the plinth sides should be wood/veneered. For "open" decks (e.g. Gyrodec/TW Acustik) the open frame should be a matte black.

On plinthed suspended sub-chasis designs, the top panel and arm board actually look very good in that black carbon fibre textured finish (a la Funk LP12 mods). Otherwise a matte black inlay offsets the veneered plinth rather well. The only challenge with black is that any dust build-up is immediately apparent and any over-zealous spouse could just decide to take a duster to the top of a turntable and zap the stylus/cantilever in her zeal (leading to a steep rise in the divorce rate).

For the various 'gubbinses' that protrude (platter, arm and controls) from a background of matte black, there is a need for some contrasting colour/shade/tone so that us old farts suffering from failing eyesight are still able to distinguish these protrusions from the background. Brushed or sandblasted titanium is less prone to 'fingerprinting' than stainless steel (not to mention polished chrome).

The lack of use of titanium metal in tonearm manufacture surprises me - its strength to mass ratio is one of the highest yet few, if any, manufacturers make use of it (maybe because it's a real bitch to machine?). Also, titanium can be anodised to provide a range of colour shades (with some admittedly grotesque but with some nice subtle shades). Titanium can also be textured - via brushing or sand-blasting - to provide a variety of subtle and attractive finishes that avoid being mirrors for every oily fingerprint.

To get back to the question regarding "Red"... (in this case, Pink)

Some years back, after some dialogue with Chris Harban around sourcing Pink Ivory stock in which Chris offered to make me a Pink Ivory LP12 plinth if I could source enough of the wood for his immediate demands (which I couldn't) - I played around with some ideas for colour combinations and thought that a Pink Ivory plinth matched to a carbon fibre top plate & arm-board would make a very attractive combination. (One of the items in my custom knife collection has handle plates made from Pink Ivory with anodised titanium bolsters (at the blade hinge point) with a Damascus steel blade and this combination was what caught my eye and drove the purchase:

DesHornSmall.JPG

So, a subtle bit of "red" in the wood can be very attractive but a vivid scarlet enamel finish would -for me - be a bit on the garish side. Besides vivid red colours should really only be used on Italian sports cars...

Well, someone's given this real thought! All I would add is that vivid colours are not always garish inside a Western or Northern European room, where the natural light can be somewhat muted. In all, I still vote for a nice natural beech finish. All my audio furniture, and my speakers, are in light beech.
After this grim, long, winter, I could do without more black things. Why not the odd splash of colour?

Firms like Rega are offering are offering their decks in a ever wider choice of colours. Project are doing the same. Should all manufacturers offer a range of colours any one fancy a Michell Orbe in metalic white?. If you could order your new turntable in any colour or finish what would you choose?

All record decks should be as good as my £25 AR XA...

Well, someone's given this real thought! All I would add is that vivid colours are not always garish inside a Western or Northern European room, where the natural light can be somewhat muted. In all, I still vote for a nice natural beech finish. All my audio furniture, and my speakers, are in light beech.
After this grim, long, winter, I could do without more black things. Why not the odd splash of colour?

I guess one should try to think outside one's own age-group and the somewhat conservative preferences that come with age...

Why not offer bright and colourful options for the younger new-entrants into the world of vinyl? Maybe the plethora of dull and uninspiring colour options is one of the factors that has put off new potential younger buyers?

For the truly colourful check out the scheu analog lauftewerk turntable In pinkie pie pink

scheu-analog-diamond-pink-03-200x200.jpg

advertisement

Back